What's new

WiFi is worse since updating RT-68AC to latest f/w

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
Since updating my router to firmware 384.13, WiFi performance upstairs in our house means it’s not usable. Has the new firmware introduced some setting(s) that would cause that?

Typical symptom is that the connection is very slow, for example Speedtest.net takes ages to find servers to connect to. These issues only occur on the 2.4 GHz band, if I connect to 5Ghz then all is fine.

It’s all very odd as the signal strength shows two bars out of three on my iPad and iPhone

I did a factory reset, waited over 10 minutes then powered it off and waited a further 5 to 10 minutes before powering it back up and manually re-entering all the config options (DHCP fixed IPs, port forwards etc) and created new WiFi SSIDs but still the 2.4Ghz performance is very poor in certain parts of the house, despite the iPad or iPhone showing 2/3rds of full signal strength and there being no such issues when the router was on 384.5 firmware.

I’m now wondering if perhaps there’s a coincidental other factor in play, such as my neighbours WiFi causing problems? I’ve done a site survey via the router and it shows another AP on the same channel but it’s signal strength is very low.

I’ve set the 2.4Ghz channel to one not used by my neighbour but there’s no change - performance is still poor unless i set my mobile devices to use the 5Ghz signal, in which case all works fine and speedily.

Very odd that updating the Merlin firmware seems to have had that impact on my router....

It is very odd. Maybe the M&M Config link in my signature below can help to get your router to a good/known state again?

I’ve set the 2.4Ghz channel to one not used by my neighbour but there’s no change - performance is still poor unless i set my mobile devices to use the 5Ghz signal, in which case all works fine and speedily.

Very odd that updating the Merlin firmware seems to have had that impact on my router....
From https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/
Q: I'm having wifi issues, can your firmware fix it?
A: Wifi is closed source, therefore outside of my control. Wireless driver and code come directly from Asus's firmware.

2.4Ghz performance is very poor in certain parts of the house, despite the iPad or iPhone showing 2/3rds of full signal strength
anything less than all 3 bars on an iDevice is a weak signal. Apple is too optimistic displaying signal strength.

Consider external factors like location, intervening plumbing and wiring, antenna radiation pattern, antennas screwed into the connectors tightly, etc.

It is very odd. Maybe the M&M Config link in my signature below can help to get your router to a good/known state again?
I did follow the excellent M&M Config guide to try resolving this very issue.

All devices other than mobile devices use ethernet rather than WiFi and our mobile devices can all use the 5Ghz signal, so I may just leave the router as is and carry on just using 5Ghz - of course if I get a device which only supports 2.4Ghz WiFi then I'll have to do something else. Maybe reinstall the Asus firmware then later on go back to Merlin...