What's new

WiFi radar for RT-AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHog

Regular Contributor
When using the latest Merlin 384.19 firmware, does the RT-AC88U have a tab in the wireless section for Wi-Fi radar. Nice tool that I have used with my RT-AX88U and was hoping it is available in the AC modem. The RT-AC88u is in a home surrounded by lots of school kids using at home learning. We are trying to find clear channels without spending all day tied to the router.

WiFi Radar (or any other 'app') isn't needed to properly set up a router.

Set a manual Control Channel, reboot the router, and test for a day or two, keeping good notes of the pros and cons. The time is needed to allow the surrounding AP's to move off the channel you're using (they're usually in Auto mode).

After getting a good baseline, change the Control Channel (if needed) and repeat the steps above.

The 'best' channel isn't always the one in the 'clear' (there rarely is a 'clear' channel). An app cannot find the best one for you (it really can't).

Start at one end of the Control Channels and work up or down until you have the proof in your WiFi environment that the one you choose is really the best available.

Do not use DFS channels unless you are certain that your area is free from Airport/Weather RF activity.

I do know how to find the best channels, but I do like the WiFi Radar feature and would like to know if others who use the RT-AC88U with Merlin`s latest firmware have the WiFi Radar tab in their wireless settings. That's what I am looking for.

No. The RT-AC3100 only has Site Survey, which is what I would imagine the sister model RT-AC88U has too.

that`s the answer I am looking for.
Thanks GitzJoey

Broadcom's Wifi radar is only available on newer HND models.

I like. Will head over to daughters house later and perform a site analysis and get her router setup so she doesn`t have to fight with channel interference.
Thanks for the link

Check this one out, it provides a lot of low-level technical info that you don't get with regular wifi analyzers:

Helge Keck

www.helge-keck.com
www.helge-keck.com

Thanks for the tip and link. This app is exactly what the doctor ordered. We got daughters router dialed in perfect and now she doesn`t have the neighbors next door playing havoc on her 2.4ghz radio. Not many 5ghz around so that band is not an issue. This will help will her constant video conferences between home and med school since she now works from home.