What's new

WiFi Scanning software

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

speedingcheetah

Anyone try Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector over inSSIDer(which used to be free)?

Its a bit older(and thus doesn't identify AC correctly),but, I like the way it looks and reports a bit better...and it shows the Vendor of the detected AP(for some).

Also, PassMark WirelessMon.

I just noticed that inSSIDer (ver 4.0.4.4) does not show the signal graph over time thing for the selected AP.

Last edited:

Its a bit older, I like it a bit better...and it shows the Vendor of the detected AP.

I just noticed that inSSIDer (ver 4.0.4.4) does not show the signal graph over time thing for the selected AP.

Yeah in the past I would use these programs on wireless desktop or laptop. There is a free web version that was much better. You would need to use java with that service. That's still free but only works on wireless hardware.

I do recommend using Android Tablet or Smartphone with WiFi Analyzer app which is free one and that's a lot better. You can do a full WiFi Survey of your dwelling indoors or outdoors. It also has WiFi Snooping features too. So just be careful with it. I do like the meter option which gives off a slight tone feedback as it gets louder as your near your WiFi AP base. Lower the tone when your are at the end of the WiFi signal.

Yeah in the past I would use these programs on wireless desktop or laptop. There is a free web version that was much better. You would need to use java with that service. That's still free but only works on wireless hardware.

I do recommend using Android Tablet or Smartphone with WiFi Analyzer app which is free one and that's a lot better. You can do a full WiFi Survey of your dwelling indoors or outdoors. It also has WiFi Snooping features too. So just be careful with it. I do like the meter option which gives off a slight tone feedback as it gets louder as your near your WiFi AP base. Lower the tone when your are at the end of the WiFi signal.

I do use WiFi Analyzer on my S3, but thats only for general wifi detection(and I think the S3 is only N150). The antennas in smartphones are not the greatest. Laptop antennas are most always better. Plus, u can't hook up a directional USB wifi adapter to a smartphone.

I am mainly looking for PC based software...I know of WiSpy, but that is basically a spectrum analyzer and is very expensive.

Last edited:
What's really needed is WiFi analyzer freeware that displays
CHANNEL UTILIZATION x% IN LAST y hours.
(how busy are the channels?)

Scanning all or chosen channels for long dwell times.

When trying to get best speeds by avoiding busy channels, signal strength isn't very important.

I've yet to find freeware for this.

What's really needed is WiFi analyzer freeware that displays
CHANNEL UTILIZATION x% IN LAST y hours.
(how busy are the channels?)

Scanning all or chosen channels for long dwell times.

When trying to get best speeds by avoiding busy channels, signal strength isn't very important.

I've yet to find freeware for this.

kismet-newcore can do this - you can either scan all or lock on to a channel and it will display wireless activity on the channel it tunes to.

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

You might have to build from source or use their deb packages - many of the linux repos out there have the old version.

sfx

Its a bit older(and thus doesn't identify AC correctly),but, I like the way it looks and reports a bit better...and it shows the Vendor of the detected AP(for some).

Xirrus is pretty good - I had issues with my laptop (probably not Xirrus, but my machine), but it runs fairly well.

Some other tools...

For Mac -

WiFi Explorer is pretty good - it's in the AppStore
iStumbler - useful
Apple WiFi Diagnostics - packet capture and scanning built in (Option-Click the Airport Menu and select WiFi Diagnostics - once up, go to the Window menu and select Utilities)

Android

InSSIDer for Android in Google Play - think it's still free there

AMPED Wireless - WiFi Analytics Tool is free also on Google Play

AMPED Wireless also has what appears to be an older version of InSSIDer for free for Windows as well

ehaku has some really great tools... heatmapper comes to mind...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!