What's new

Wifi signal disappears after setting router to AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DreadnoughtX7

New Around Here
Set Up: Asus AX86U as main router, with Asus AX55 as AI mesh connected via ethernet backhaul.

Previously, my AX86U was connected to the ISP modem in bridge mode, meaning my AX86U got its own public facing IP and all was well.
However, I changed ISPs recently, and the new modem was installed in a location further away from my asus AX86U. The modem is wireless, so you get a separate wifi router supplied . That router is connected to the ISP modem via a Coax cable.

The only alternative was to connect the AX86U to the supplied wifi router via ethernet. as it was much closer. It worked, kind of. The AX86U was assigned an internal IP address (192.168.1.--), and the devices connected to it got internet access. However, I began to observe random disconnects and degraded performance on the connected devices, plus gaming consoles didn't automatically port forward like before.

To address this, and since the AX86U was no longer getting a public facing IP, I changed the mode from Router to AP mode so it would act like a switch,.
However, I noticed strangely that after the change, the wifi networks configured on the AX86U were no longer visible without the AX55 AI mesh turned on, and when I logged into the web console, all my devices were connected to the AI mesh AX55 and not the AX86U. What i mean is if i turn off the AI mesh AX55 and leave the AX86U on, the wifi networks configured on the AX86U are not visible on any device and the devices remain disconnected. its almost like changing the AP mode turned my AX86U into a wireless switch.

However, once i turn on the AX55, connected to the AX86U as aimesh via ethernet backhaul, then the wifi signals reappear, even the guest network signals configured on the AX86U (which technically should not be visible on the AX55 ai mesh device)

I'ma bit confused as to why this is happening. Any pointers?

Set Up: Asus AX86U as main router, with Asus AX55 as AI mesh connected via ethernet backhaul.

Previously, my AX86U was connected to the ISP modem in bridge mode, meaning my AX86U got its own public facing IP and all was well.
However, I changed ISPs recently, and the new modem was installed in a location further away from my asus AX86U. The modem is wireless, so you get a separate wifi router supplied . That router is connected to the ISP modem via a Coax cable.

The only alternative was to connect the AX86U to the supplied wifi router via ethernet. as it was much closer. It worked, kind of. The AX86U was assigned an internal IP address (192.168.1.--), and the devices connected to it got internet access. However, I began to observe random disconnects and degraded performance on the connected devices, plus gaming consoles didn't automatically port forward like before.

To address this, and since the AX86U was no longer getting a public facing IP, I changed the mode from Router to AP mode so it would act like a switch,.
However, I noticed strangely that after the change, the wifi networks configured on the AX86U were no longer visible without the AX55 AI mesh turned on, and when I logged into the web console, all my devices were connected to the AI mesh AX55 and not the AX86U. What i mean is if i turn off the AI mesh AX55 and leave the AX86U on, the wifi networks configured on the AX86U are not visible on any device and the devices remain disconnected. its almost like changing the AP mode turned my AX86U into a wireless switch.

However, once i turn on the AX55, connected to the AX86U as aimesh via ethernet backhaul, then the wifi signals reappear, even the guest network signals configured on the AX86U (which technically should not be visible on the AX55 ai mesh device)

I'ma bit confused as to why this is happening. Any pointers?

AIMesh requires you to have one device as a router/master. If you just want them both to be APs, then set them both to standalone APs and hardwire them to the ISP device, using it as the router. Probably best to just factory reset them both and set them to AP mode.

Disable wifi in their router so it isn't interfering with yours.

When you say the ISP modem is wireless, I'm assuming you're using a wireless ISP now? The coax between that and their router is likely just using MOCA so they could leverage the existing cabling in your place. If it is MOCA-LAN you could probably get an adapter to hook the Asus right up to their "modem". If MOCA-WAN it is possible but those adapters are a bit less common. Of course you'd need to know what settings to supply to connect, they may use some form of authentication etc.

AIMesh requires you to have one device as a router/master. If you just want them both to be APs, then set them both to standalone APs and hardwire them to the ISP device, using it as the router. Probably best to just factory reset them both and set them to AP mode.

Disable wifi in their router so it isn't interfering with yours.

When you say the ISP modem is wireless, I'm assuming you're using a wireless ISP now? The coax between that and their router is likely just using MOCA so they could leverage the existing cabling in your place. If it is MOCA-LAN you could probably get an adapter to hook the Asus right up to their "modem". If MOCA-WAN it is possible but those adapters are a bit less common. Of course you'd need to know what settings to supply to connect, they may use some form of authentication etc.
Thanks @drinkingbird .

However, the main problem i'm getting now is that I can't get the wifi signal on my AX86U to go above 1 bar. You literally have to be within 1 foot of the thing before you can detect a wifi network. This was not the case before i set it to AP mode this morning. I've returned it to router mode, disabled and re-enabled the radio for both 2.4 and 5ghz, to no avail.
If the AX86U alone is on (master, not AI mesh), then its wifi signal is so low that you have to be beside it to detect it, but once I connect the AX55 (the AI mesh router, using ethernet backhaul), then all my devices are able to detect the wifi signal from that device and connect to the network.

I don't know if setting my AX86U as AP mode damaged my router in anyway. I have reset , reinstalled the firmware --heck i even reinstalled stock--to no avail. I can't get the wifi signal level on the AX86U back up to what is was before anymore. Its so low now that only a laptop close to it will detect it. Not even an Iphone placed right beside the router will pick up the signal. The LED ligths are one for both 2.4 and 5ghz but no devices are picking up the wifi until the AI mesh comes online.

Thanks @drinkingbird .

However, the main problem i'm getting now is that I can't get the wifi signal on my AX86U to go above 1 bar. You literally have to be within 1 foot of the thing before you can detect a wifi network. This was not the case before i set it to AP mode this morning. I've returned it to router mode, disabled and re-enabled the radio for both 2.4 and 5ghz, to no avail.
If the AX86U alone is on (master, not AI mesh), then its wifi signal is so low that you have to be beside it to detect it, but once I connect the AX55 (the AI mesh router, using ethernet backhaul), then all my devices are able to detect the wifi signal from that device and connect to the network.

I don't know if setting my AX86U as AP mode damaged my router in anyway. I have reset , reinstalled the firmware --heck i even reinstalled stock--to no avail. I can't get the wifi signal level on the AX86U back up to what is was before anymore. Its so low now that only a laptop close to it will detect it. Not even an Iphone placed right beside the router will pick up the signal. The LED ligths are one for both 2.4 and 5ghz but no devices are picking up the wifi until the AI mesh comes online.

Quite possible that your devices were just using the node all along and your main router's wifi has died a while ago? Switching the mode should not have mattered.

But I would factory reset them both (WPS button method) and reconfigure from scratch again, don't restore any backups or change firmware after the reset. Also disable wifi in the ISP router if you haven't. Or maybe you've tried all that already.

It does sound like the wifi radio in that AX86 may be dead though. I doubt changing modes had anything to do with it, I suspect you've just been connecting to the node. I guess it is possible that by total coincidence, that was the reboot that finally put the nail in the coffin. If I'm remembering correctly, that router is known for issues (or maybe it was the AC86).

Quite possible that your devices were just using the node all along and your main router's wifi has died a while ago? Switching the mode should not have mattered.

But I would factory reset them both (WPS button method) and reconfigure from scratch again, don't restore any backups or change firmware after the reset. Also disable wifi in the ISP router if you haven't. Or maybe you've tried all that already.

It does sound like the wifi radio in that AX86 may be dead though. I doubt changing modes had anything to do with it, I suspect you've just been connecting to the node. I guess it is possible that by total coincidence, that was the reboot that finally put the nail in the coffin. If I'm remembering correctly, that router is known for issues (or maybe it was the AC86).
you're probably right. The thing probably died ages ago and i never noticed cos the AX55 took up the workload seamlessly. Damn though, the Ax86U didn't come cheap, super surprised it died so fast. Its barely over 2 years of use.
Could the fact that I didn't turn off the ISPs router wifi and both of them were literally side by side have contributed to this in any way? I wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake if i end up buying a new one

you're probably right. The thing probably died ages ago and i never noticed cos the AX55 took up the workload seamlessly. Damn though, the Ax86U didn't come cheap, super surprised it died so fast. Its barely over 2 years of use.
Could the fact that I didn't turn off the ISPs router wifi and both of them were literally side by side have contributed to this in any way? I wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake if i end up buying a new one

It is possible, seems unlikely but never know. I'm sure it didn't help anything. You want to disable the ISP wifi regardless if not using it to reduce interference though, so do that regardless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!