What's new

WiFi Upgrade - Mesh or Unifi w/ PowerLine Backhual

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyoffacliff

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my wireless performance, for better performance with a thin client around the house. I currently have a NETGEAR WNR2000V3, which barely covers the house, so I will probably need multiple access points for 5GHz coverage. I also have a powerline WiFi extender in my yard I have an existing powerline network, so I could buy the Unifi-AC-Pro connected to powerline for backhual. Or try a mesh system. There are so many of them! I am overwhelmed. How does mesh compare to powerline backhaul? Powerline seems to work fairly well in my house.

Also, would deploying multiple consumer routers in AP mode be dumb, rather than using Unifi? If I do use Unifi system, I would probably get an EdgeRouter and managed switches.
My internet connection is 100 down, 10 up, which may be increased in the future to 300/30. The router is currently the bottleneck.

It seems like just Orbi (and possibly a few other?) mesh systems use a dedicated radio for the backhual. The ones that don't, how would they be any better than the crappy "wireless repeaters" that have been around for years?
Any other advice?

Thank you very much for the help!

Review your clients, how many they are, what speeds do they manage, ask yourself if everything has to be connected through WIFI, fixed clients may be better be connect with cable and allow mobile clients to connect through WIFI.
Perhaps 2 APs (Unifi-AC-Pro) connected with cable to a Router are just what you need.
Then ask yourself what are you prepared to pay and how BIG budget do you have to spend on this solution?

Perhaps a new AC Router with 1-2 APs is cheaper than the Netgear Orbi system, everything depends on how much you want to pay and for what, its all up to you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!