What's new

Will a high-end consumer router have enough processing power to function as 1000 Mbps+ Wireguard VPN client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why you run VPN client on the router? Run it on the PC instead and only when needed. You already have fast x86 hardware available.
The reason why I’d prefer to run it on the router is that we’re a family of five, and with *many* different end-points (each of us have at least 2 laptops, plus 6 mobiles, iPads, several gaming desktops, a NAS, and streaming units (TVs, media players etc) in many rooms around the house). I would guess at least 30-40 end points in total). I want most of the traffic to be protected by VPN, including the teens’ traffic. Also, VPN is needed even for some media streaming, since some content is geoblocked if we try to access it from a Swedish IP address.

To handle this end-point by end-point would simply be too much hassle. I had rather hoped to be able to buy a new router (or VPN device ) that would allow me to simply tunnel everything though a VPN. That simplicity would easily be worth the cost of a new router (at least up to 5-700 EUR/USD or similar)

I want most of the traffic to be protected by VPN

Your traffic is throttled down with increased latency and the sites you connect to see you're using VPN and some will deny service (ever growing number), some will require extra authentication (financial, health, government). You are not more "protected". You just replace your ISP with another with better promises and pay both hurting your Internet experience in the process. The worst part - you enforce your wrong understanding of things and related decisions on your family members. When they have enough of your "protection" ideas they'll simply switch the mobile devices to cellular network or visit a friend with less restricted Internet access. This is what is going to happen sooner or later. You're not the first walking the path.

The NanoPi R6s running FriendlyWRT (Fork of Open-WRT) can do full gigabit down on Wireguard.

As I've written previously I'm using a GL-iNet FLINT router in front of my Asus router with Wireguard enabled on the FLINT router. I've seen 320Mbps Down at 3:30AM on my Starlink connection with Wireguard...That's as fast a my Starlink connection has gotten. The Flint Router is good to about 500Mbps Down on Wireguard and it's travel router cousin the Slate AX model can do about 550Mbps down on Wireguard. ASUS and Wireguard just can't cut it right now for higher speed connections and there are better alternatives using Wireguard.

The NanoPi R6s running FriendlyWRT (Fork of Open-WRT) can do full gigabit down on Wireguard.

As I've written previously I'm using a GL-iNet FLINT router in front of my Asus router with Wireguard enabled on the FLINT router. I've seen 320Mbps Down at 3:30AM on my Starlink connection with Wireguard...That's as fast a my Starlink connection has gotten. The Flint Router is good to about 500Mbps Down on Wireguard and it's travel router cousin the Slate AX model can do about 550Mbps down on Wireguard. ASUS and Wireguard just can't cut it right now for higher speed connections and there are better alternatives using Wireguard.
Fantastic! Thanks so much! I will be investigating this!

Will a modern high-end consumer router such as Asus RT-AXE7800 have enough processing horsepower to function as 1000 Mbps+ Wireguard VPN client?

Sounds like you're paying two times for connectivity - one to the ISP, and the other to the VPN provider...

The VPN provider isn't adding any value, despite what the TV commercials say...

Take a moment to consider - traffic still needs to exit the VPN provider to the internet - so where is the privacy/protection there?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!