What's new

Will MOCA cause interference with Cable TV?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

irishdoom

New Around Here
I installed a set of MOCA adapters a couple nights ago. I'm getting great speeds from them, and they seem solid. I have noticed some "hitches" and stuttering here and there with my cable. While I haven't completely determined that this is due to the MOCA adapters, is it possible that they would cause interference? If so, what can I do to remedy it? Use a splitter instead of going from the wall to the moca box to the cable box? If so, do I need a specific splitter for this?

MoCA shouldn't cause interference, but there is always a chance. You can try removing the adapters and seeing if the problems go away.

If you use an external splitter it needs to support frequencies up to 1.5 GHz.

I'll likely just monitor this situation, and see if it was just normal, intermittent cable problems. It may have been coincidence.

Also, is there an easy way to measure the performance of the adapters? I'd like to see if I could possibly handle 1080p streams with these adapters.

splitters suitable for MOCA

MoCA shouldn't cause interference, but there is always a chance. You can try removing the adapters and seeing if the problems go away.

If you use an external splitter it needs to support frequencies up to 1.5 GHz.

I have Comcast cable and has been using MOCA for a while with no major issues. Lately I am having trouble with Comcast TV. Don't know if this is due to the signal improvements (changing frequencies) made at Comcast or not.
I called mocalliance.org, moca manufacturers and splitter manufacturers and got different answers about what splitters to use.
Question is I cannot find splitters that is MOCA compliant and whether I need to use splitters than can go up to 1500MHz. I was told 1000 MHz splitters will work since frequencies up to 1500 MHz will pass through (?).
Would like to find out which splitters works best with MOCA and cable TV.
Thanks

Splitters

Look for splitters for Satellite TV. They are designed to pass up to 3000 Mhz.

Lots of splitters assured to be low loss up to 2GHz. Google it.
Don't buy a cheap one. Try to use RG6 coax. Minimize number of splitters. If a tap is unused, replace the splitter with one-less tap, e.g., from 4-way to 3-way.

I've used MoCA here for 2+ years. Zero problems. No impact to cable TV.

Last edited:
MoCA enhanced splitters are available

MoCA is designed to work with exisiting digital cable splitters but there are MoCA enhanced splitters available. Legrand just released two, three and four port versions.

http://www.legrand.us/onq/networking/coax-networks/adapters-and-splitters/vm2202-v1.aspx

The problems arise because Digital Cable Systems require splitters to have good port to port isolation in the 5MHz-1GHz band in order to prevent noise in their system.

Cable based MoCA 1.1 systems send data in the bandwidth between 1GHz-1.525 GHz and require communication to occur between the ports (poor port to port isolation).

MoCA enhanced splitters are good Digital Cable Splitters (in the 5MHz-1GHz band) that offer better port to port communication in the MoCA data band of 1-1.525 GHz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!