What's new

Will replacing AC68U with XD4 improve the performance of my AIMESH system? (main router: AX86U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

av566788

New Around Here
I have an AX86U (Router) connecting with my old AC68U (Node) through wired backhaul to set up an AiMESH.

Although it works ok so far, I always want to upgrade to a full AX environment. Recently I'm considering buying a single ASUS XD4 router (about USD 80) to replace the AC68U. Is it worth upgrading? Will that have any improvement to the performance of my current AiMESH system?

Will that have any improvement to the performance of my current AiMESH system?
I guess that would depend on what clients you have connected to the node and how hard they're pushing it. The XD4 only has two antennas compared to the AC68U's three. So if you don't have any -ax clients on the node you might be better off sticking with the AC68U. On the other hand the XD4 uses newer chips and is aesthetically more pleasing, but has internal antennas which might compromise its coverage.