What's new

Will RT-AX68U (AX2700) suffice for my setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steinj14

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS RT-AC68W (AC1900) router that has served me well for 6 years. One of the LAN ports went bad 2 years ago. Lately, it's been dropping the Internet connection. Power-cycling it gets it back online thus far, but I think it's time to upgrade.

Features I use include DDNS, VPN, IP reservation, port forwarding, print server, Samba share, Let's Encrypt. Below are my current router connections.

USB:
  • 2.0 - printer
  • 3.0 - portable hard drive (used for backups)
Wired:
  • 2 GB switches
  • 2 video security camera DVRs
  • Vera Lite Home Automation Controller (Z-Wave)
  • Obi200 VoIP Phone Adapter
  • Asus RT-AC1200 (cascading from the primary router and used for a guest network)
Wireless (protocol):
  • 2 Laptops (ac)
  • Roku (n)
  • Roku Stick (ac)
  • iPhone 8 (ac)
  • iPhone 12 mini (ax)
  • iPad 10.2 (ac)
There are only 2 of us in a 1-story house (approximately 1600 sq ft). Usually, we only stream one device at a time. We need WiFi calling since cell signal isn't great.

To future-proof a bit, improve performance, and keep costs down, I am looking at the RT-AX68U (AX2700). It seems like it will suffice for my needs, but is there a good reason to consider the RT-AX86U (AX5700) or anything else?

The RT-AX68U should be a good replacement for your older router.

The reason to consider something like the GT-AX6000 is support for 2.5GbE WAN and LAN connections. If your service is lower than 1Gbps, and you don't expect to jump to a higher tier within the expected life span of the new router, than for 1,600 SqFt, the RT-AX68U should be more than sufficient (for now).

Also, the GT-AX6000 with its greater RAM and faster CPU/Radios will benefit the VPN and other features you use.

If you're using the router to actually plug in a Printer into (via USB), I would recommend against that with any current router (if you want to highest stability and most performance from your network).

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

GT-AX6000
Thanks for the reply - that helps!

I'm currently subscribed to Spectrum's "Internet Plus" package. Per Spectrum, this has speeds up to 300 mbps download and 10 mbps upload. Don't see a need to upgrade when I've not had any issues, even when streaming using the Roku (n) I have. Unless you can think of a good reason?

I plug my printer into the router's USB because the Ethernet port on the printer fried and it doesn't have WiFi capability. I need to have it accessible on the network - not sure how else to do it :(

Those ISP speeds are a great match for the RT-AX68U (even up to ~600Mbps symmetrical). Don't change this.

Is there another computer that is always on? This is where I would plug the printer into. Ideally, a new printer with Ethernet and WiFi, of course.

If it works on the new router, great. But be prepared for something to change from your current setup.

Things changing are the only constant. :)

Just saw on Amazon that the RT-AX86S (AX5700) is the same price as the RT-AX68U (AX2700) that I was intending to buy. Assuming I'd get more for my money if I go with the RT-AX86S (AX5700)? So, should I purchase it instead?