What's new

Win10 PCs can't see NTFS USB as file shares (but Android devices can)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razzmatazz

Occasional Visitor
  • Asus RT-N66U
  • 64GB Lexar USB flash drive attached. NTFS formatted.
  • Firmware RT-N66U_380.69_2
I've enabled the media server and I can access the USB media files from PC media players, TVs, & Android devices.

I've enabled Samba file share so that my Win10 PCs & Android devices can access the USB drive as a file share. My Android devices can see and access it.
But for Win10 PCs, the drive doesn't appear if I open the "Network" icon.
Can anyone please tell me how I can set this up as a Win10 PC visable & accessible file share?

Relevant Samba settings:
  • Enable Share: On.
  • Allow guest login: On.
  • Work Group: (Set to be the same as that of my PCs.)
  • Enable SMB2 protocol. I've tried Yes and No.
  • Simpler share naming: Yes
  • Force as Master Browser: No
  • Set as WINS server: I've tried Yes and No
  • NTFS Sparse Files Support: Enable.

Not sure if NFS Exports is needed but I've tried:
  • Enable NFSD: On
  • Enable legacy (NFS V2) support: Tried it both Yes and No.
  • Tried adding a path but it doesn't seem to stick.
Not sure if (under NFS) I need to add path names or or an "Access list" or "Options" but for various folders on the drive I've tried:
  • Path: /mnt/the_various_pathnames,
  • Options: blank or "R/W" or "r"
  • Access list: I've tried things like
  • 192.168.1.0/24
  • 192.168.1.0/254
  • blank

Last edited:
But for Win10 PCs, the drive doesn't appear if I open the "Network" icon.
Can anyone please tell me how I can set this up as a Win10 PC visable & accessible file share?
Microsoft disabled that ability (SMBv1) in recent builds of Windows 10. That's probably what you're seeing.

EDIT: See https://www.snbforums.com/threads/smb2.40537/page-2#post-340005

P.S. Disable NFS Exports it's nothing to do with your problem.

More up to date info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

Last edited:
Microsoft disabled that ability (SMBv1) in recent builds of Windows 10. That's probably what you're seeing.
... or wasn't seeing! :)

THANK YOU!!! That was it! Problem solved! I'm a very happy camper!

Just to further clarify the solution for anyone else who might have this problem and find this thread...
Apparently Microsoft now turns-off SMB v1.0 client functionality by default in Windows 10 Home (not Windows 10 Pro), but you can turn it on as follows for Windows 10 Home:
  1. In the Windows 10 task bar search-box (at the bottom of the Windows desktop), type, "Windows Features" and then click "Turn Windows Features on or off". That control panel will appear (though it may not appear at the front of the desktop screen if you have other windows up).
  2. From the "Turn Windows features on or off" control panel:
    1. Expand "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support".
    2. Check-mark the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client".
    3. Hit "OK".
  3. Windows says that you must restart (now or later) for the change to take effect. So restart at your convenience.
  4. Upon restart, if you click on your "Network" places, you should be able to see the Samba "Device Name" that you assigned, and you can click on it to gain (read & write) access to the USB drive.

Last edited:
Just directly access it through \\routername\ rather than re-enabling SMBv1. You can then either create a shortcut or map a network drive.

Make sure "Force Master Browser" is also enabled. I have this enabled and I can view all my Windows 10 and Ubuntu PCs and external drives connected to my AC3200.

Just directly access it through \\routername\ rather than re-enabling SMBv1. You can then either create a shortcut or map a network drive.
Well a big D-oh to me! I do that everyday and it never occurred to me the OP was trying to do something different.

BTW, I was having a horrible time with my mount constantly dropping. Flashed over to Merlin and it's been solid ever since. Thank you!

Just wanted to mention that I had the same problem and directly accessing it with \\routername\ would not work. Enabling SMBv1 fixed it for me (plus a raspberry pi I wasn't seeing).

RT-AC68P 384.3b3

Thanks for the instructions Razzmatazz.

Last edited: