What's new

Windows 7 , PPTP VPN error 807 and 800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zillah

Regular Contributor
Dear Experts

Please don't steer the topic from PPTP to IPsec and other types of VPN which is more secure than PPTP,,,,etc

I have got this scenario windows 7 is acting as vpn client at home and windows XP is acting as vpn server at work.

At home (LAN address is 192.168.10.x/24)And I configured windows 7 as VPN client same as here :

Windows 7 PPTP VPN Setup Tutorial | HideIpVPN

At work (LAN address is 192.168.1.x/24) I configured XP SP3 as VPN server same as here (except I could not enable PPTP Passthrough on my router because I could not find that option) :

Simple PPTP VPN Server Setup in Windows XP

Please be aware
On the vpn server, I have selected administrator as username to be allowed for vpn, subnet that vpn server is using, is : 192.168.1.70-73

On the vpn client I am using the correct username/password.

Security I tried below combinations with no joy:

Type of VPN : Automatic,,,,,,error 800
Data encryption: Optional encryption (connect even if no encryption)

Type of VPN: Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP),,,,,error 807
Data encryption: Optional encryption (connect even if no encryption)

Router that I am using at work (where XP is connected to it) is :

2wire router with below details :

IModel: 2701HGV-W Gateway
Hardware Version: 2701-100655-004
Software Version: 5.29.113.16

Port forwarding 1723 was enabled

Whenever I try to establish a vpn tunnel I am receiving either error 807 or 800

Note:
The VPN server (work deskto) was working when I had at home VPN client as an XP OS not windows 7, but when I upgraded from XP to windows 7 I lost my vpn connection.

Thanks

Now I have got couple of question :

1- Do I need to enable GRE Protocol 47 (PPTP Pass Through or VPN Pass Through) as well, when I read couple of online threads they suggested to enable VPN Pass Through (GRE Protocol 47) with some nasty routers

VPN Setup

2- I had not enabled GRE Protocol 47 (PPTP Pass Through or VPN Pass Through)when I had XP as client before upgrading to windows 7

3- If option 1 is not necessary what could cause this problem ?

PPTP VPN needs 2x things from your firewall/router/edge device.

1 - Port 1723 to be open/forwarded to the VPN server
2 - IP type 47 GRE to be allowed to pass through. GRE is not NAT friendly, it needs a firewall/router to allow it to pass unmolested by NAT. Many "home grade" routers do not do this well. Note..this has nothing to do with ports..it's not "port 47" that you would open/forward, but a method of telling the NAT firewall to just let that traffic pass through without questioning it.

I'm not aware of the 2Wire having that feature...by your second post it looks like you found it...so enable that feature and try again. I haven't tried PPTP from behind a 2Wire....to be honest..the 2Wire units are one of my most hated brands...whenever I come across one of those at a clients network...I throw them out and port a plain bridged modem in and then use my own router/firewall. Those 2Wires are just weird....like they were developed on a totally different planet! And not very strong performers.

This is already has been done.

2 - IP type 47 GRE to be allowed to pass through. GRE is not NAT friendly, it needs a firewall/router to allow it to pass unmolested by NAT. Many "home grade" routers do not do this well. Note..this has nothing to do with ports..it's not "port 47" that you would open/forward, but a method of telling the NAT firewall to just let that traffic pass through without questioning it.
I am pretty sure you meant I have to enable that for the work's router (2wire) do I need to do that for the home's router as well.

I'm not aware of the 2Wire having that feature...
For the work's router ( 2wire) I could not find that option ( PPTP pass through router) !!!

2- I had not enabled GRE Protocol 47 (PPTP Pass Through or VPN Pass Through)when I had XP as client before upgrading to windows 7
What I meant to say when I had the XP (before upgrading) as a VPN client and since I was not able to find the GRE Protocol 47 option on the work's router (2wire) ,,,VPN was working between home and work!!!!

I do not if GRE Protocol 47 is enabled by default on 2wire!!!!

Last edited:
You usually want PPTP VPN passthrough (gre/47) enabled on the router that the "host/vpn server" is behind. And if it's not working from your remote network...on that remote networks router, try to see if that router has the feature to enable also.

Unfortunately it's not an exact science when it comes to home grade routers...you will find cases where it's worked for someone for years without enabling that feature on their home router. And sometimes they'll get a new computer and set it up and can't get it working. For a new OS...even though "PPTP" has remained the same, there are subtle changes in the networking stack of a new OS..and it may give you a hard time trying to get it to work from behind the same router that worked with your old computer and old OS.

Try to see if there's a firmware update for your router...I've seen this fix issues on older routers once you add a new OS to the mix and have issues.
Try to see if you can get updated NIC drivers for your new PC
Sometimes certain software firewalls can muck things up

Hint for enabling and disabling firewall credit goes to other forum

I did test :

1- On home's router cable router (simple cisco provided by my ISP) 'PPTP pass through' is enabled,,,I guess not sure the work's router 2wire has 'PPTP pass through' or GRE 47 enabled by default, and firewall (Norton 360 V4) on the VPN server (Desktop computer at work) is disabled,,,,,,VPN worked

2- On home's router cable router (simple cisco provided by my ISP) 'PPTP pass through' is disabled,,,I guess not sure the work's router 2wire has 'PPTP pass through' or GRE 47 enabled by default, and firewall (Norton 360 V4) on the VPN server (Desktop computer at work) is disabled,,,,,,VPN didn't worked

Please see the snapshot below:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2s8nsrp.png

2s8nsrp.png

(gre/47) enabled on the router that the "host/vpn server" is behind
From the test above now my question does that mean GRE 47 should be enabled on all routers not only a router that VPN server is behind ?

Now I have to configure Norton 360 V4 to let VPN to pass through

Last edited:
From the test above now my question does that mean GRE 47 should be enabled on all routers not only a router that VPN server is behind ?

Generally.."Yes"...as indicated if my first reply to your post. The part where I said this:

"PPTP VPN needs 2x things from your firewall/router/edge device.

2 - IP type 47 GRE to be allowed to pass through. GRE is not NAT friendly, it needs a firewall/router to allow it to pass unmolested by NAT. Many "home grade" routers do not do this well. Note..this has nothing to do with ports..it's not "port 47" that you would open/forward, but a method of telling the NAT firewall to just let that traffic pass through without questioning it."

In my second reply...I added that it's usually a "must" for the router that the VPN server is hosted behind. As for your remote (home) router...often you don't always have to find this option to enable..as they'll allow it to pass through fine. Can depend on the brand of router, model of router, version of firmware on the router....it's not an exact science. Try it one way..try it the other way if the first way doesn't work..only takes a few seconds to toggle that setting and try it.

You usually want PPTP VPN passthrough (gre/47) enabled on the router that the "host/vpn server" is behind. And if it's not working from your remote network...on that remote networks router, try to see if that router has the feature to enable also.
I had overlooked the bold part in the quote above.

Thanks for your help

Now I have to configure Norton 360 V4 to let VPN to pass through

I followed the hint here :

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6539606_configure-norton-360-vpn.html

Open Norton 360 by double-clicking the program icon on your computer's desktop or by selecting the Norton icon from the Windows task tray.Update Norton 360 by selecting the "Run Live Update" menu option. Older versions of Norton 360 would inadvertently block all VPN traffic, independent of firewall rules.
When I updated from V4 to version 5, VPN worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now hopefully it will keep working

Thanks

Last edited: