What's new

Windows 8.1 Wireless Disconnects N66-USB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Windows 8.1 Wireless Disconnects N66-USB [SOLVED]

Good Morning,

A bit stuck here, I have an N66-USB wireless adapter and RT-N66U and up until the point where I upgraded from XP to 8.1 it all worked fine, as it does on my win7 pcs etc.

Now my usb device disconnects regularly, to the point of disappearing and has to be unplugged and plugged in again to work.

Apparently it's THE big issue with Windows 8.1 right now.

I considered buying a TP PCI E card to replace it, only to read that this card has the same issue.

I've tried various online solutions, 3 different drivers, including latest (Although not the one off ralink website yet which I will try later)

I've tried different USB sockets.

I've tried changing the DNS and DHCP settings manually client side.

I've tried turning off power management of the device in windows.

I've tried everything here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...wireless/939b448f-3ac7-4f46-a0de-69ce5a1e2711

I run merlin .43 and every other devices in the house are fine (that is 15 or so devices) Just this 8.1 pc. I kinda wish I had stuck with XP now.

Can anyone perhaps recommend an N900 dongle that works 100% with 8.1

I bring this problem here as a last hope. I don't really want to go down the powerline route or cables. Was quite happy with it on XP.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 Update 1
RT-N66U with 3.0.0.4.376.48_beta1
USB-N66 with driver 5.1.15.0

The above combination works very well. The new driver for the USB-N66 available from Asus is only that, a driver with no fancy control app like the previous version. I un-installed the 1.0.1.1 version before installing 5.1.15.0.

Yeh I tried that driver last night and still got disconnects after about 10min, especially when downloading stuff like wow patches etc while streaming hd. and really pushing my connection (as a test)

I'm not sure changing the firmware to .48 beta will help but I'm willing to try anything. I'm pretty sure it's something they have borked in 8.1 as everything worked fine in XP.

What band are you using with your USB-N66? I had the most bizarre problem in which after a rather short period of time, the latency between client and RT-N66U on the 5GHz band would be over 900ms. Ever since I switched to channel 161, the problem has not occurred again. You can test for this problem by using "PING -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" from the command prompt on your USB-N66 client.

Edit: If you are having general USB device problems, that could caused by the drivers for the USB controllers in your PC. Did you install any drivers after the Windows 8 install other than for your USB-N66?

Last edited:
I'm just using 2.4ghz, was on channel 11 for ages. Tried 6 last night to see if it made any difference.

Also Its been on 40mhz for ages as I found that's where I get best speed.

I tried 20mhz last night, made no difference.

I'm really stuck, I was wondering if I'm overloading the usb or something putting 450 through it (as they can only handle 480)

Also wondering if it's a dns problem, I'm using virgin medias usual dns 194.168.4.100 I think as secondary it also uses the ap ip 192.168.1.1

Also got norton safe on.

I'm guessing hopefully i'll sort it and not have to resort to powerlines, as always worked before.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer to see if you are having a USB hardware/driver problem.

Event log showed uhci (usb host controller interface) problems.

Apparently it's something to do with older asus boards, amd cpus and south bridge setups.

Anyway, I ran the windows 8.1 update 1 manually, got 95 updates. Checked I was on the right asus driver (I was from night before). Updated to merlin .48 beta1.

Not quite sure what has fixed it, probably the windows update, but run all night with no disconnects, played diablo 3 at 120fps, tested wow at 100fps. Sweet

Thanks, it helps to have another perspective to bounce ideas off.

SOLVED - NOTHING MORE TO SEE HERE