What's new

Windows could not automatically detect the proxy settings, default gateway not available?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HRearden

Occasional Visitor
I frequently receive the "Windows could not automatically detect the proxy settings" error or a similar error about "The default gateway is not available."
This happens on multiple machines. Sometimes using the windows network trouble shooter can fix the condition, sometimes, not. Sometimes when I see this I setup a constant ping to the router and I can see the timeouts start. The time between this error can be from minutes to hours. I can see what seems to be similar type errors on my android phone when I play a game, it frequently pauses and shows that it has lost the connection, after a time it seems to repair itself and reconnect.

The settings on windows are set to automatic: DHCP, DNS, proxy detection, etc.

I have tried just about everything I can think of. Are there some settings which I need to focus on or check?

I am running Asus Merlin 384.19 on an RT-AC86U.

Any ideas?

rearden

This sounds like your clients are loosing their connection to the router. Check the router's syslog for the time the problem occurs. Perhaps the router is rebooting itself.

The router is not rebooting itself. I checked that. So far, I have not found anything which I have recognized in the syslog as pertaining to the problem, but maybe I need to change my logging level. It happens on both wired and wireless connections.

Something really bad needs to happen for a wired client to lose the connection to the router. What’s the router’s uptime? How long does a pause last?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!