What's new

Windows Media Player seen via network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
I uninstalled all features that I don't need on my one computer, including Windows Media Player, and when it connects to a server somehow there's always 3 connections that are identified as Windows Media Player, port 80, from that computer.

How does that happen? I'm seeing this when I look at my connections by device in the QoS section. Could QoS be identifying it incorrectly?

Last edited:
The ports are probably still active, try shutting the service down .

Better still stop using an outdated insecure OS, upgrade to Win 10. Media Player is discontinued and will no longer be supported by Microsoft , not will Win7 , it is EOL.

The ports are probably still active, try shutting the service down .

Better still stop using an outdated insecure OS, upgrade to Win 10. Media Player is discontinued and will no longer be supported by Microsoft , not will Win7 , it is EOL.

This is with a fresh install of Windows 10 updated to the latest. I uninstalled Windows Media player via Programs and Features

This is with a fresh install of Windows 10 updated to the latest. I uninstalled Windows Media player via Programs and Features

Weird, in some pages Microsoft state Media Player is not included, in other places they say it is included as an option for some versions of Win 10.
I have Win 10 Pro on 6 devices and none have Media Player.
Media Player is not shown anywhere in my ASUS GUI.
If it is not shown in "SERVICES" then the QOS entries must be wrong.

You could also check in Task Manager for any related running services.

Win Media Player still here if you upgraded Win7 to 10 even after new installation. Think its stored by MS with your serial and PC identity to auto activate win10.

I used a Windows 10 install with a windows 7 key. I did find out it was apart of the map file server for a game server I play on. I still went ahead and blocked the IP using Skynet, worked like a charm.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!