What's new

Windows NT and Two NIC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sac_guy41

New Around Here
Hello I recently I had one NIC fail in a NT machine with two NIC cards.
Since replacing the faulty NIC I am unable to get the NT machine to be able to map to a NAS network drive. We use the NT machine to MAP a drive letter to a NAS network drive (207.176.130.7) via NIC #2. Then I share the MAP drive so all the computers attached to NIC #1 have access to the mapped drive.

I tried to create a route table:
Route Add 207.176.130.0 Mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.207.1 192.168.207.3

I still can not establish a connection to the NAS.
I also am unable to access the internet via NIC #1 (192.168.0.254)

____NIC #1____
IP:192.168.0.52
Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.0.254
|
WINDOWS NT MACHINE
|
_____NIC #2_____
IP:192.168.207.03
Mask:255.255.255.240
Gateway:192.168.207.1
|
Router 192.168.207.1 ------ NAS 207.176.130.7

I am NOT routing IP packets across the two NICS so I did not click on that option under Network options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Is this NT 4?
I'm trying to remember the advanced settings...if I recall, check in the advanced network settings, for provider order..basically the order in which the PC would load the NICs..and related services. Ensure that "server" and "workstation" services are bound to this new NIC properly.
Also, with NT 4, every time you fiddled with the network properties, running Service Pack 6a back over the top was necessary, since (similar to Win95 and 98)..every time you made an adjustment to network properties the OS would reload the files, pulling from the original .CABs directory (i386 for NT). Thus files reverted back to the original version, requiring laying the service pack back on top again.

Nt4

Yes it is NT4 with Service Pack 6a!

I will need to look at the settings you recommended.

I am thinking of replacing the machine with a Windows XP box. Specially since I use my thumb drive a lot and NT4 does not really support USB that well!

Do I really need to set destinations in the route table if I am using two NIC cards and keeping both networks seperated by this machine.
I have read that I need to do this so Windows knows which NIC card to use to access the destination IP.

This machine I have mapped a drive letter to a Network File Server so my other network has access to the files of the NFS with out exposing my other machines to the network where the NFS resides directly.

I "don't think" you'll need to play with routes or the LAT (local address table)...without staring at your setup some more. I'm guessing the SAN is the only device connected to that additional NIC? She's just an IP SAN device? You probably can just skip putting in a gateway entry on that card. Are you running DNS or WINS? Is this SAN on the same network...if so, what's with the oddball public like IP address?