What's new

Wink My Review of TP-Link TL-PA8010P AV2 Powerline adapter tested with 20 outlets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry if this is considered a necro, but I would think that things like how well the outlets are bonded (meaning "ground" bond), if the electrician used "backstabs" or the side screws to connect the wires to the outlet, the state of the outlet itself (old and possibly a bit corroded vs brand-new and shiny), whether the house is old and the wiring is in metal-flex conduit or wired with Romex (which probably affects "sheilding" and impedance), and if the breakers are basic thermal breakers (that only have the hot connected) vs new wiring requirements that require AFCI breakers that have both hots and neutrals connected to breakers, and many circuits now require GFCI breakers, too. Older houses tend to have fewer circuits, with more outlets/rooms per circuit, whereas newer houses tend to have more circuits and breakers. I just remodeled a duplex (~2000k feet) that had all outlets in 2 bedrooms, den, living room, and bathrooms on one circuit, and all lighting throughout the whole place on another circuit. Only the kitchen outlets had their own circuit. All breakers were the basic thermal kind, so all neutrals are tied together on the panel directly. That kind of wiring is not even allowed per modern building code!

On the other hand, the wiring connections were all crimped, not tied together tightly via wire nuts, and they tended to be fairly loose. All of the old outlets were a little corroded, and all of the wiring connections were "backstabbed", which aren't as tight or secure as using side screws. I reconnected most of the outlet wiring and replaced every single outlet.

I think it would matter more where the outlets are in the wiring circuit more than where they are physically laid out in the room and the overall state and design of the wiring itself. Without a wiring diagram and specifics of installation, it's hard to draw conclusions.

HomePlugs assume that the socket is actually wired correctly - HPAV2 assumes all wires all correctly connected on the socket on both ends...

I love my setup
upload_2019-4-22_21-28-35.png

The only down side i would say to this setup is the electrical noise created can cause issues with routers-- just from what i noticed.

What a pain in the butt these devices are. so many network disconnections, and low bandwidth even on what should be ideal wiring on the same circuit. ipv6 isn't working on them by default either, i had to turn off igmp proxying with another obscure version of their utility.

struggled with them for a few months and then bought the actiontec moca 2.0 bonded adapters. more expensive but they just plug in and have been working flawlessly since i got them.

What a pain in the butt these devices are. so many network disconnections, and low bandwidth even on what should be ideal wiring on the same circuit. ipv6 isn't working on them by default either, i had to turn off igmp proxying with another obscure version of their utility.

struggled with them for a few months and then bought the actiontec moca 2.0 bonded adapters. more expensive but they just plug in and have been working flawlessly since i got them.

I support going moca all the way if possble*not always possible with certain providers tho* I currently have new wiring for my cable provider and using old wiring for moca (moca and my cable platform do not agree, they share the same signals and all the boxes have to connect back to master box). I have the moca running through old cables that were apart of a system that a satellite tv company used before i had cable installed- it has been reconfigured with moca splitters and disconnected off of old satellite. If you have to buy powerline adapters I recommend getting
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa9020p-kit/
or
better

HomePlugs are layer 2 Ethernet bridges - so IPv6 doesn't come into play there...

Most of your issues are probably related to firmware and powersave mode, and there, the QCA7500 based devices have had some issues.

That being said - everything caught up and configured, HPAV2 can be a good solution to bridge a gap where the spousal approval factor prohibits running a CAT5/6 cable down the hallway...

Left side is WiFi N300, the right side is a homeplug AV2 - ping-time and turnaround..

hpav2_vs_wifi.png

The only down side i would say to this setup is the electrical noise created can cause issues with routers-- just from what i noticed.

Can be a problem for VDSL - and that's for all HPAV2, not just TPLink

On TPLink - there is an option, and I think this is a workaround, as HPAV2 spec is supposed to map around things...

Anyways - getting a solid 100Mbit/Sec full duplex connect on HPAV2 isn't really a problem, and that's with good QoS across applications.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!