What's new

Winscp suddenly not working anymore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gravityz

I have been using winscp for years now to transfer files between my windows pc and RT-AX88U router(FW 386.49674)

now all of a sudden it seems i can not open files or transfer files anymore

i can login fine and even open a shell with putty to execute commands but whenever i try to open a file from the menu i get this error

Unable to run SCP to initiate transfer. Make sure that SCP is installed on the server and that the path to it is present in PATH. You can also try SFTP instead of SCP.
The command was not executed correctly and returned the return code 127.

i tried my other connections to my synology and they have no problems at all.

somehow my RT-AX88U does not want me to open or transfer files anymore

i use port 2222 with SSH file and like i said logging in works

SCP was removed from the firmware recently. There have been other reports about this.

Hmm. why did they do this? and was it a fluke or intentionally.

if i can not get in with SCP do we need to install SFTP sever on the router.
looks to my like this is less secure than the default SCP

Thanks Colin.

looks like Asus screwed up again.
this is a good reason to switch to Merlin.

Asus thinks in a very strange way. they give you JFFS to put files on and then they kill the way to transfer the files to that jffs part

Asus thinks in a very strange way. they give you JFFS to put files on and then they kill the way to transfer the files to that jffs part
To be pedantic, I don't think Asus have ever said the JFFS partition is intended for users to put their files there. That's where Asus store their files.

HaHa i forgot about that.

i have been running Johns fork firmware for ages on my old AC66U so i was getting used to it.
then when switching to the RT-AX88U it was just possible(without Merlin) to use it again.
i guess they finally patched it.

Merlin has said he has no plans to remove SCP from his firmware so you could use that if you need SCP.