What's new

Wired backhaul AX AiMesh nodes, how to configure for 160Mhz/DFS when AX Router is also set for 160Mhz/DFS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aex.perez

I have a AX88U as the main router, setup for 160Mhz and DFS enabled. Working great when laptop is connected to it, getting the expected bandwidth. But for the wired backhaul AX86 AiMesh nodes, they do not seem to carry over the main router settings for 160Mhz and DFS. 160Mhz/DFS is rock solid on the AX88U, running ChannelHog from @Adamm always reports 160mhz bandwidth enabled. Not so on the AX86 mesh nodes.

So as the GUI is inaccessible on a AiMesh node, I have no way to enable the settings to achieve 160Mhz and turn DFS on at the AX86's. Even is using NVRAM to get the router in repeater mode to access the GUI on the node, you still can't access the wireless (General/Professional) settings.

I have no airport/military/radar installations near me, the AX88u is rock solid with 160Mhz and DFS enabled (though I had to use the mobile app to enable it as I didn't find it in the router GUI). Hopefully the main router and AiMesh nodes can all coexist at 160Mhz/DFS, another gotcha.

AX88u running Merlin 386.8, wired backhaul AX86's running Merlin 386.7_2 (because I need to run a couple of scripts, mostly LED on/off based on sunrise/sunset as these are in the bedrooms)

Any suggestions on a how to or if it's possible?

Or do I need to switch these from "AiMesh Node" to a "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" for the wireless settings to carry over or set them, if they even will or get me access to the GUI on the nodes to set them?

Note: I've even tried setting some NVRAM variables (based on the AX88U) manually on one AiMesh node to try and enable 160Mhz, to no avail)

I think you're expecting way to much from all the AiMesh Marketing. Your pushing the tech envelope by deploying 160MHz/DFS in the first place. And from what I read In the past... It was technically advisable to stick with as similar hardware as possible for nodes. Obviously, doing so is cost prohibitive. But (more reasonably) stick with routers/nodes of the same number of bands. Simply count the antennas. In your case you've got a 4x4 router & 3x3 nodes, obviously there are going to be some hardware differences & incompatibilities.

I have a AX88U as the main router, setup for 160Mhz and DFS enabled. Working great when laptop is connected to it, getting the expected bandwidth. But for the wired backhaul AX86 AiMesh nodes, they do not seem to carry over the main router settings for 160Mhz and DFS. 160Mhz/DFS is rock solid on the AX88U, running ChannelHog from @Adamm always reports 160mhz bandwidth enabled. Not so on the AX86 mesh nodes.

So as the GUI is inaccessible on a AiMesh node, I have no way to enable the settings to achieve 160Mhz and turn DFS on at the AX86's. Even is using NVRAM to get the router in repeater mode to access the GUI on the node, you still can't access the wireless (General/Professional) settings.

I have no airport/military/radar installations near me, the AX88u is rock solid with 160Mhz and DFS enabled (though I had to use the mobile app to enable it as I didn't find it in the router GUI). Hopefully the main router and AiMesh nodes can all coexist at 160Mhz/DFS, another gotcha.

AX88u running Merlin 386.8, wired backhaul AX86's running Merlin 386.7_2 (because I need to run a couple of scripts, mostly LED on/off based on sunrise/sunset as these are in the bedrooms)

Or do I need to switch these from "AiMesh Node" to a "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" for the wireless settings to carry over or set them, if they even will or get me access to the GUI on the nodes to set them?

Note: I've even tried setting some NVRAM variables (based on the AX88U) manually on one AiMesh node to try and enable 160Mhz, to no avail)
I suppose you do not want to hear it but it is best to run Asus firmware on the nodes. And as the other poster said do not push 160 MHz. 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz should work and the router should switch up to 160 MHz when a client requires it. Mine does. Should not matter if it is in router or AiMesh node.

AiMesh is centrally managed/configured from the router/root node webUI... no tricks required. The WiFi settings should propagate to the nodes.

Begin troubleshooting with an AiMesh System Reboot... but in your case, I would install current ASUSWRT firmware first and recommission the network from scratch. There seems to be an issue with AiMesh comms using Asuswrt-Merlin.

For a clean install, install current ASUSWRT firmware, then Hard Reset the firmware to its default settings, configure the router from scratch, and search/add the reset AiMesh node from within the router webUI.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

My install notes may help. If using 160MHz bandwidth (DFS), I would use a non-DFS control channel to permit any clients that do not support DFS frequencies.

Once you get the network settled, just use the hard/soft switch to toggle the LEDs OFF.

OE

Last edited:
Your pushing the tech envelope by deploying 160MHz/DFS in the first place.

OP says it works in their area. If so, no reason not to use it.

And from what I read In the past... It was technically advisable to stick with as similar hardware as possible for nodes.

Can't hurt but is not a requirement.

But (more reasonably) stick with routers/nodes of the same number of bands.

OP is using dual-band routers.

Simply count the antennas. In your case you've got a 4x4 router & 3x3 nodes, obviously there are going to be some hardware differences & incompatibilities.

You're talking spacial streams, not bands, and not considering internal antennas. Hardware differences, yes, but not incompatibilites. Plus the OP is using a wired backhaul, so any WiFi hardware differences will not affect the wired backhaul, just clients.

OE

OP says it works in their area. If so, no reason not to use it.

Can't hurt but is not a requirement.

OP is using dual-band routers.

You're talking spacial streams, not bands, and not considering internal antennas. Hardware differences, yes, but not incompatibilites. Plus the OP is using a wired backhaul, so any WiFi hardware differences will not affect the wired backhaul, just clients.

OE
Hey when I'm wrong... I'm wrong. Thanks for the corrections. I'll read up on all this later, Thx

Hey when I'm wrong... I'm wrong. Thanks for the corrections. I'll read up on all this later, Thx

Me, too! :) We're not about wrong and right here... we're just helping and learning!

OE

A couple of clarifications

Network is solid, everything fine. All scripts on the AX88 even OVPN

160Mhz and DFS are working solid on the AX88 for a few months now, though to set DFS had to use the iPhone app as it didn’t appear in the GUI.

160Mhz and DFS do not appear to be propagating to the wired AIMesh AX86’s.

Running Merlín on the nodes because I can turn the LEDs on/off but additionally I have a couple of scripts running - scMerlin being one

All the wireless devices, from Nest cams, thermostats, Phones (Android/Apple), old Android Tablets, water heater, my Wife’s Volvo(it can connect to Wifi networks), various Alexa Echo’s, lightbulbs, Samsung Soundbar, Samsung washer all connect fine using 20,40,80mhz whichever works best for the device. TV’s and Gaming rig and a few others are wired including the mesh nodes.

Getting the mesh node on 160Mhz and DFS is a want, vs a need - basically the cherry on top. I also know the WiFi is closed source, as well as AiMesh. So not expecting too many answers.

I did match up a few NVRAM variables that looked like they were related to 160Mhz bandwidth amongst others that were set on the AX88 but not set on the AX86s. Setting them manually (commit) and rebooting the AiMesh node had no impact.

Because of that effort I am curious as to the operating mode and whether to switch the AIMesh nodes from "AiMesh Node" to a "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" as shown in the GUI for the wireless settings to carry over or set the wireless settings via the GUI?

Assuming if doing that operation mode change will even get me access to the GUI on the nodes and WiFi General/Professional settings to configure them?

You can log into your nodes admin page and change the settings there. I think it's somewhere in the AI mesh under the management tab for that node.

However, as others have stated, the settings should propagate to the nodes automatically.

Last edited:
Yeah I am trying to do something similar.

MY env is main router of ax86u 160mhz capable with 3 XD5 160mhz capable and 2 XD4 only 80mhz capable.

The problem started with the addition of the XD4 mesh nodes, which are on the far edges of my property. It would be nice to force everything that can handle 160mhz to use it.
I know I can solve it by making the two XD4's outside of AImesh, but I wont get the single view to see where all my devices are as the trade off.

Right now I am running the latter and 160mhz works fine on the 4 capable devices, but would love to revert if someone figures it out.

A couple of clarifications

Network is solid, everything fine. All scripts on the AX88 even OVPN

160Mhz and DFS are working solid on the AX88 for a few months now, though to set DFS had to use the iPhone app as it didn’t appear in the GUI.

160Mhz and DFS do not appear to be propagating to the wired AIMesh AX86’s.

Running Merlín on the nodes because I can turn the LEDs on/off but additionally I have a couple of scripts running - scMerlin being one

All the wireless devices, from Nest cams, thermostats, Phones (Android/Apple), old Android Tablets, water heater, my Wife’s Volvo(it can connect to Wifi networks), various Alexa Echo’s, lightbulbs, Samsung Soundbar, Samsung washer all connect fine using 20,40,80mhz whichever works best for the device. TV’s and Gaming rig and a few others are wired including the mesh nodes.

Getting the mesh node on 160Mhz and DFS is a want, vs a need - basically the cherry on top. I also know the WiFi is closed source, as well as AiMesh. So not expecting too many answers.

I did match up a few NVRAM variables that looked like they were related to 160Mhz bandwidth amongst others that were set on the AX88 but not set on the AX86s. Setting them manually (commit) and rebooting the AiMesh node had no impact.

Because of that effort I am curious as to the operating mode and whether to switch the AIMesh nodes from "AiMesh Node" to a "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" as shown in the GUI for the wireless settings to carry over or set the wireless settings via the GUI?

Assuming if doing that operation mode change will even get me access to the GUI on the nodes and WiFi General/Professional settings to configure them?
@aex.perez did you ever get to the bottom of this issue please?

Asking as I’m about to splurge on XD6 or XT8 Nodes, for Wired backhaul to an RT-AX86U Pro and am very interested in this capability.

ta

k.

Last edited:
I have tested this sort of configuration scenario independent from this thread. I was specifically trying to set independent transmit power levels, which I'd surmise would equate to this purpose.

ssh in to the node, set NVRAM variables, commit them, reboot node, and each and every time, the node is completely configured anew as per the controlling unit's settings. Undoing every attempt made.

This was in the last month or two.

AiMesh is just not yet ready, for me.

I have tested this sort of configuration scenario independent from this thread. I was specifically trying to set independent transmit power levels, which I'd surmise would equate to this purpose.

ssh in to the node, set NVRAM variables, commit them, reboot node, and each and every time, the node is completely configured anew as per the controlling unit's settings. Undoing every attempt made.

This was in the last month or two.

AiMesh is just not yet ready, for me.
Aimesh changes via nvram never work. You need to use the “wl” command directly to overdo the main routers settings. I got channel and width working because wireless service can be restarted to change that. Since I have different channels for everything I max the power so I have not tried to see if power is set-able with only wireless restart and wl command

So then this is a strong argument for running Merlin on the nodes as well.
So my issue i posted earlier where aimesh would not hold 160mhz was a firmware bug. It was resolved a version or two ago.
I extensively worked on aimesh node optimization and concluded that you can do the following while keeping aimesh.
1. Separate channels for both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz customization
2. band customization for every aimesh node. mix 2g and 5g channel widths

What I have not tested is power level as I did not look into the specific "wl" command to adjust it. Another option is to set the device location that matches a power level you like. This will work without a node reboot.

A reason to not use aimesh is you do not care about the single pane glass view of clients and/or you do not want to spend time making a script that automates the network to revert to your specifcs if you do a firmware upgrade, reboots, restarts, etc.
Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 3.03.30 PM.png

So my issue i posted earlier where aimesh would not hold 160mhz was a firmware bug. It was resolved a version or two ago.
In the context of both your and @aex.perez issue surrounding the dropping off of 160Mhz, this issuing being solved is good new, thank you. My first approach is just aimesh with some XD6 nodes Wired, but if it’s Wired the hope is that the 160Mhz capability actually works.

BTW: Check syslog on node (via SSH).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!