What's new

Wired Gigabit Firewall Router (review request)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blexley

Regular Contributor
Trendnet TWG-BRF114

4-Port Gigabit Firewall Router

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=180_TWG-BRF114&cat=41

I would like to see the above Router reviewed as apart from a handful of wireless routers that have a physical switch on the outside to permanently turn off Wi-Fi there is very little option for a wired Gigabit router for us that never use or will ever use Wireless.

Having to check that Wireless is disabled everytime a Family member resets or alters the router settings is a pain in the arse with most wireless routers only having a software switch.

Last edited:
Trendnet TWG-BRF114

4-Port Gigabit Firewall Router

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=180_TWG-BRF114&cat=41

I would like to see the above Router reviewed as apart from a handful of wireless routers that have a physical switch on the outside to permanently turn off Wi-Fi there is very little option for a wired Gigabit router for us that never use or will ever use Wireless.

Seconded. I moved from wired router to wireless router about 5 years ago. The issues with wireless then were the same as today -- random reboots, dropped connections, speed, distance, new IEEE standard in development, etc.). I now want to move to a wired GB router based network with APs as needed for wireless connections.

I don’t know anything about the TWG-BRF114 or Trendnet in general. The D-Link DGL-4100 gets good reviews and has good features but being around 4 years old, it could be replaced by a new model soon leaving the 4100 without down the road support.

Joe

The DGL-4100 is a solid router. I have used the DGL-4500 wireless version for about 3 years without a hiccup (I do use the wireless). The Ubicom-based routing is solid and handles plenty of multiple sessions for BitTorrent and other P2P uses.

You run the risk of any consumer networking product being discontinued and having no further upgrades. But if a product does all that you need it to do, you don't really need to worry about upgrades.

I'm on docsis 3 - 50mb cable internet and they plan on upgrading to 100mb in the next couple of years so i need a Gigabit Wan to Lan so i'm currently looking at the Trendnet TEW-633GR as that has a switch to permanently turn off Wi-Fi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!