What's new

Wireguard Wireguard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weggy

Regular Contributor
Hi,

From what I've seen I think the answer is no, but I wanted to double check. Will Asus Merlin be able to allow for wireguard at some point? Or is it simply not possible due to limitations.

If it helps, I'm running a ASUS RT-AC5300

Many Thanks

Merlin has already stated that he will not be adding wireguard support.

Wireguard requires a newer kernel, so not all routers can even support it. From what I have heard, for Routers that can support it, Asus will be adding Wireguard in the RC3 release. If that is the case, then Wireguard will make it too Merlin as it appears in the Asus Binaries.

Wireguard requires a newer kernel, so not all routers can even support it. From what I have heard, for Routers that can support it, Asus will be adding Wireguard in the RC3 release. If that is the case, then Wireguard will make it too Merlin as it appears in the Asus Binaries.
@RMerlin has tweeted that Asus' upcoming WireGuard support is for AX-series routers.
Their firmware is based on a kernel that's compatible, but there are devs here who've made it work for SOME AC-series routers whose firmware is based on a "slightly" older kernel that can be...coerced? manipulated? adapted? whatever...It can be done with some coding for applicable routers.
Unfortunately, @Weggy, you'd need to upgrade your hardware.

I do actually already own two ZenWiFi AX (XT8). I utilise my RT-AC5300 as my main router with the two ZenWiFi AX (XT8) as nodes in my AI Mesh.

I guess it would be worth selling the RT-AC5300 and using one of the ZenWiFi AX (XT8)'s as a router? I believe this can be done?

Having said that. Right now I'm eyeing up buying a Dell RS210 ii and putting PFSense on it. Just looking for some nice UK based references (for hardware) on getting things working etc. The main reason I'm looking at this is VPN speeds. I'd like to hit 900Mbps (1Gbps)

Last edited:
Using the Zen units as APs and a dedicated (and over-spec'd) routing computer will (more than) probably be the better way.
WireGuard's webpage indicates the speeds you're looking for can be more easily attained than with alternatives...you've a 1Gbps link provisioned by your ISP? do they support jumbo frames?

It looks as if the newest changelog includes Wiregaurd...

386.4 (1-Jan-2022)
- NEW: Added support for the RT-AX86S (uses the same firmware
as the RT-AX86U).
- NEW: Added wireguard kernel module + userspace tool to
HND models firmware images.
- NEW: IPv6 support for OpenVPN server. Allows to remotely
connect to your router's OpenVPN server over IPv6, and
reach LAN clients over their IPv6 (redirecting IPv6
Internet traffic does not work).

Any update on this as it has been several months since the RC3 has been released? Also will Merlin finally add the XT8 to the list of supported routers?

Any update on this as it has been several months since the RC3 has been released? Also will Merlin finally add the XT8 to the list of supported routers?
Wireguard kernel & userspace tools are already included in the firmware but the graphical user interface isn't, and won't be until Asus implements it first.

You can use Session Manager for your Wireguard needs which is also available under amtm.

SSH into your router, type amtm, hit enter, type wg and hit enter to install.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!