What's new

Wireless adapter to pc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KW.

Regular Contributor
I noticed I started to get real low speeds on my main PC. The PC is placed so wired network is not a solution. When I use speccy it seems that I have Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter. Its on my motherboard and bought it some years ago maybe four. The antennas on it is hanging and dangling and seem really tired:)

At the place of my computer my phone has a connection almost that max what my ISP is giving me 230 mbits. My computer on the same network gives me 20 now. Before it gave me almost the same speed as my phone.

Is it worth buy a whole new adapter to the motherboard or just find some new antennas. And on these adapters that exist (want one on the motherboard) is it value for money to buy a expensive one?

Thanks for tips on what to buy for adapter or antennas that are good.

Yeah the Asus PCE-AC88 should work very nicely - external PCI cards normally work better than built-in cards

Reactions: KW.
Thanks for the response, So you believe I take it is worth to buy a separate PCI card. I will in not to long time have to upgrade the motherboard too. So need to think about it. Its a curse that if you upgrade one thing suddenly you feel the need to upgrade something more:)

But I guess as you think its value to have a good receiver that part is not to be neglected.

If you are already thinking of upgrading the motherboard, then I wouldn't 'waste' money on a mere WiFi adaptor that costs as much as one.

Just buy a motherboard that is WiFi capable and buy a $20 Intel AX200 adaptor instead (if needed).

Yea I think that makes more sense. My motherboard have done a great service and can be used in a "left over" computer.

Just curious what do the pce-ac 88 offer that makes its four times more expensive the then the Intel ax200 adapter?

If you are already thinking of upgrading the motherboard, then I wouldn't 'waste' money on a mere WiFi adaptor that costs as much as one.

Just buy a motherboard that is WiFi capable and buy a $20 Intel AX200 adaptor instead (if needed).

More buggy drivers and user aggravation? 'Older' WiFi, if not outright slower too?

The only real benefit may be a 4x4:4 connection back to the router (if the router is also a 4x4:4 design and is physically close enough too). Meaning a more stable connection from a further distance in the right WiFi environment.

The Intel AX200 WiFi adaptor is inherently better though, IME. Even with just a 2x2:2 connection and can be upgradeable with another $20 card when the next standard arrives. :)

I am on the brink of getting a new motherboard and have a good deal on a Tuf gaming 570-plus motherboard with wifi. The particular deal is with the wifi so I cant choose one without in this case and do my own setup of wifi adapter. The wifi-adapter is wifi 5 Intel Wireless AC-9260 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac). I am using a netgear r9000, would you say it is a problem that I dont get the ax wifi model? I could spend around the same amount with a ax version of wifi-adapter but I believe I will get a lesser motherboard in other aspects.

I will not change router in the near time. And if I do later I could buy another adapter to the motherboard I guess. So the performance of today with the r9000 does a ax adapter give me any benefits. @L&LD

I would think it would be trivial to buy an Intel AX200 WiFi adaptor and swap it out for the 9260. But, that 9260 is a very good adaptor too. :)

As long as the chip isn't soldered down, it should be upgradeable.

I read your reply that you think it is a point getting the AX200 and switch the wifi-adapter:) Thanks for the reply L&LD

I would at least attempt it! :)

I would at least attempt it! :)

Now finally I installed the AX200 WiFi on my old motherboard. (The new one is not installed yet. Know lazy but will get it inside the comp when I update more stuff). Anyway. Thank you @L&LD for the few tens of dollars it made a huge difference. I max out my internet connection on the pc and get a big speed boost, about the limit.

So now I know the adapter matter, I am happy you gave me the advice of the intel, otherwise I might have thrown up to 200 dollars for nothing.

Last edited: