What's new

Wireless Advice - Upgrade DIR-655 or extend powerline ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidhayes

New Around Here
I have a DIR-655 (middle floor) hooked up to a DHP-202AV powerline kit to serve the TV etc. in my basement. I get pretty poor throughput but an ok signal on the top floor of the house.
I'm torn between getting another powerline kit to serve the top floor or upgrading to an ASUS RT-N66U and hoping I'll get better range/throughput throughout the house.
If it makes a difference I have 50Mbs/3Mbs internet and I'm fairly sure my router is the bottleneck on my wifi connections now.

Any thoughts on which way I should go? Should I be looking at an AC router to future proof myself (I don't currently have any AC devices)

If powerline is working for you, I'd go with that. Wireless is not going to be as reliable or provide as consistent throughput.

Unless you change adapters, you won't get any higher link rates. It's possible that the RT-N66U's radios are a bit better. You won't know until you try. Buy from Amazon or BestBuy so you can take it back it if doesn't work out.

Future proofing with an AC router? Feh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!