What's new

Wireless Aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Josu

New Around Here
Hello everyone:)
Can you please suggest me router combo which i can use to cover most of my house
Unfortunatelly i can't hardwire all my mesh nodes with ethernet, so i prefer wireless connection if possible.
Currently i have AX88U as my main router, AX82U and hardwired node and ZenWifi AC as third one.
Now ZenWifi connection to AX82U, but signal and speeds isn't great.
Maybe it's better to replace AX82U and ZenWifi AC with Tri-band nodes for separate 5ghz backhaul to each other. Any ideas which to choose?
Or any other suggestions to modify/replace this setup?

How big is your home in SqFt? How many levels? Are you trying to light up outdoor spaces too (patio/garden, greenhouse, etc.)?

How fast is your ISP, up/down? What are you expecting to upgrade to in ISP speeds in the next few months/years?

How many client devices are you concurrently using in the network?

What are your expectations after this is done? What wired/wireless speeds do you imagine?

What is your budget?

Is the network required mostly for gaming, streaming, or just general home use?

Are you willing to replace your existing (hodgepodge) setup?

Can you give a diagram of what your home/network layout looks like right now, and, what (and where) the issues are?

How big is your home in SqFt? How many levels? Are you trying to light up outdoor spaces too (patio/garden, greenhouse, etc.)?

How fast is your ISP, up/down? What are you expecting to upgrade to in ISP speeds in the next few months/years?

How many client devices are you concurrently using in the network?

What are your expectations after this is done? What wired/wireless speeds do you imagine?

What is your budget?

Is the network required mostly for gaming, streaming, or just general home use?

Are you willing to replace your existing (hodgepodge) setup?

Can you give a diagram of what your home/network layout looks like right now, and, what (and where) the issues are?
2 levels. no idea how many SqFT. Not superbig, 3 nodes is enough for sure
Around 40 clients
I hope to get my ISP speeds which is 1 Gbps
Budget, let say around 1k gbp, but of course want to spend less
Gaming/Streaming
I can replace my setup if it helps.
About diagram, my paint skills are bad, but...
To be honest i opened Asus App on my phone and they improved mesh settings, finally i was able to connect my ZenWifi AC directly to my AX82U instead of my main router to get good speeds. (100mbps)
Just curious if ZenWifi AX XT8 will improve situation or better to take 2x RT-AX86.
3rd node for sure will be connected via wifi...and signal will go though kitchen

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 105
I believe a single RT-AX86U (as the main router) with the RT-AX88U as the far (wireless node) and the RT-AX82U as the wired (middle) node would be the best combination for you (for the lowest price and best overall performance).

Unless you upgrade all routers to RT-AX86U levels (i.e. 3x 'AX86U's), you will not get any benefits from adding 2 RT-AX86U's as nodes. But that AC wireless node has got to go. :)

I believe a single RT-AX86U (as the main router) with the RT-AX88U as the far (wireless node) and the RT-AX82U as the wired (middle) node would be the best combination for you (for the lowest price and best overall performance).

Unless you upgrade all routers to RT-AX86U levels (i.e. 3x 'AX86U's), you will not get any benefits from adding 2 RT-AX86U's as nodes. But that AC wireless node has got to go. :)

isn't 3 band nodes better for wifi connectivity between each other?
To be honest i don't want to put in 2nd node place AX88u, it's too big to be there
XT8 don't have Merlin, but both have same as AX86U 2.5gb wan

Wired is better (and trumps 3 bands always).

IME, along with many others, the RT-AX88U is inferior to the RT-AX86U. Particularly with 1Gbps ISP speeds.

You'll have to decide if you want the best WiFi or the best 'looks'. I don't care for looks, but they can be ingeniously taken into account if you really need to.