What's new

Wireless AP buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Laptop... you could use a USB WiFi dongle. Plugged straight into laptop, or via a 6 ft. USB extension cord so the dongle gets elevated into a more RF friendly placement.

Maybe physically inconvenient, but you could get a WiFi client bridge (a.k.a. game adapter). Configure it for your WiFi SSID, etc. Connect it to the ethernet port on the laptop. hassle if laptop is moved around a lot.

Laptop... you could use a USB WiFi dongle. Plugged straight into laptop, or via a 6 ft. USB extension cord so the dongle gets elevated into a more RF friendly placement.

Maybe physically inconvenient, but you could get a WiFi client bridge (a.k.a. game adapter). Configure it for your WiFi SSID, etc. Connect it to the ethernet port on the laptop. hassle if laptop is moved around a lot.

I'll keep those options in mind, but I'd really like to get an internal adapter working. I find external solutions to be cumbersome and inconvenient on laptops, plus I want to spare as many USB ports as possible. Surely, there must be some wireless adapter that will work.

Finally, I have found that the Intel 4965 works well with the Asus G1. I have wireless N, and it is performing very nicely, in both Ubuntu and XP. Maybe this bit of information will save someone some time and frustration.

I'll keep those options in mind, but I'd really like to get an internal adapter working. I find external solutions to be cumbersome and inconvenient on laptops, plus I want to spare as many USB ports as possible. Surely, there must be some wireless adapter that will work.
It's a tradeoff.
You can use a WiFi to ethernet client bridge - plug into ethernet port of PC/Laptop. Hide in a high spot.

Oh yeah, I forgot, and I'm a Linux guy!:eek:

If problems do crop up again you may want to try some of the settings in this software in Windows, and in Ubuntu you may want to download Intel's driver here. It may provide access to all the settings - Intel does actually have very good Linux support. Plus it's newer than the driver built into Ubuntu unless you're using the newest 13.04 - the build date on the driver is 1/9/2013.

don't forget - most distro's have "compat-wireless/compat-drivers" packages... check your package manager for more info:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable

sfx