What's new

Wireless Asus mesh speed issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moseph

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

Just hoping for some help / advice please.

I have just set up 500mb upload / download internet gigafast with Vodafone (Fibre to the premises).

The access point for the fibre where it comes into the house is on the 1st floor near my desktop PC.

Here, the modem is linked to my Asus AC86u router which is the main WiFi access point.
My PC is linked to it via ethernet and achieving 7ms ping and 500upload / download which is amazing.

I have put my Asus AC 68u on the ground floor and set it up as a WiFi Mesh Node. Achieving full 5g signal according to my Router homepage.

The issue is that the speeds from the mesh node are nowhere near as fast despite being full signal - achieving 12ms ping and 100mb download / upload.

I can't figure out why this is happening. There is no wifi interference and I checked the channel it is on and it is fine.

I was thinking to buy a powerline adapter and that way I can connect my main AC 86u router to the node ac 68u via ethernet which should achieve full speeds.

Is that the right thing to do or is there another better option that I can go for?

Thanks a lot.

If you can't wire it (Cat5e or better, quality Ethernet cable, with at least two runs or more), enjoy what it gives you now.

A wireless AiMesh network is effectively the same thing as the 'Repeater' mode of older models. Each time the wireless AiMesh node (aka 'Repeater') is used, it will effectively half your wireless speeds your environment is capable of. Or worse, as you see.

If you have any spare routers and wired capable equipment, the following link may be useful to you too.

Thank you that’s perfect.
Annoyingly, my main router will be upstairs in a corner of the house where the fttp enters. So that will be transmitting WiFi and the downstairs one will be the repeater/media bridge.
If only it was the other way around because all I need upstairs is a media bridge mode router as I’m just connecting my desktop there.
If that makes sense

Hello again,

So I have made some adjustments,

The Fibre entry point on the first floor office now has a 15 metre CAT 6 Ethernet Cable running from the entry modem box to the ASUS AC86U WAN port on the ground floor in a nice open space in the landing (which will improve wifi signals in the house as a whole).

I thought that rather than having a second ASUS router in the office to act as a media bridge, why not wire another cable from the office (alongside the one going from the modem to the WAN port) and wire it directly into the yellow LAN ports on the back of the router.

Is that the best thing to do? As in wiring two CAT6 cables side by side? Or can it be done somehow with one cable and a switch of some sort?

Thanks again!

Yes, the wired option will always work the best. You should have no issues at all laying two quality Cat6 cables together in a run.

There is a way to use a single cable with VLANs and a smart (managed) switch, but that will also cut down your maximum speeds. More complicated for worse performance, not recommended here.

Wired, as you outlined, is the way to go. :)

all done, I ran two high quality cat 6 cables in a run and pulled them out.

The one connected from the fibre entry point to the WAN port on the router is working well, upload and download 500mb when connecting my laptop directly to the router.

But the other one which I connected from the LAN port on the router to the LAN port on my PC is maxing out at 90mbps which is weird. When I switch the cables around, the router speed to my laptop then maxes out at 90mbps.

What do you think the issue is?
The cables are both sound, maybe the connectors/ plugs?

The issue is that second cable. Try a third, it may be the charm. :)

But the other one which I connected from the LAN port on the router to the LAN port on my PC is maxing out at 90mbps which is weird. When I switch the cables around, the router speed to my laptop then maxes out at 90mbps.

What do you think the issue is?
The cables are both sound, maybe the connectors/ plugs?
There is poorly-connected pair in the faulty cable. If you hold the connectors up to a bright light you may be able to see which conductors are mis-connected.