What's new

wireless auto channel option

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ugandy

Very Senior Member
Hi,

When selecting "auto" for channel on the wireless config, how often does the router re assesses and switches channel? what triggers it?

thanks

That would depend entirely on the model of router you have and how it is implemented in its firmware. For example, on Asus routers you can look in the log for acsd messages.

thanks.
for sake of argument let's say ax88 with stock Fw
I'm curious about the implementation...

I don't have that router or firmware, I also don't use auto channel selection so I can't answer that question. Have you looked in your router's log for the acsd messages? From what I've seen posted in the Asus subforums it looks like it runs every 15 minutes.

When selecting "auto" for channel on the wireless config, how often does the router re assesses and switches channel? what triggers it?

typically ACS happens on restart on legacy devices using hostapd - closed source drivers, it depends...

That being said - most auto channel algo's are deeply flawed in 2.4GHz, but are need in 5GHz if one wants to use DFS and/or 160MHz channels - and there, better to use newer devices that are either 802.11ac Wave2 or 802.11ax...

In that space - QCA based devices do generally do a better job at channel measurement and selection compared to other vendors, esp with the QCA closed source drivers, which most OEM/ODM's use...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!