What's new

Wireless clients won't connect to node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LowdownJT

New Around Here
Hello!

I have 2 Asus RT-AX92U devices set up in an AiMesh configuration, and over the last week I have noticed no wireless clients are connecting to my Ai node, everything only connects to the main router. I have the node set up with an ethernet backhaul, have Smart Connect enabled for Tri-Band, I have played around with roaming assistance, and still have no luck getting wifi devices to connect to the node. Firmware is current (3.0.0.4.388_22525), but the problem started before I updated the firmware. I have tried to disconnect clients manually and attempted to reconnect in close proximity to the node, and it still goes back to the main router. I just completed a factory reset on both routers and set them up again, but the problem continues.

Before I go the route of replacing the system, anyone else experience this problem and have a fix for it?

Thanks,

JT

Hello!

I have 2 Asus RT-AX92U devices set up in an AiMesh configuration, and over the last week I have noticed no wireless clients are connecting to my Ai node, everything only connects to the main router. I have the node set up with an ethernet backhaul, have Smart Connect enabled for Tri-Band, I have played around with roaming assistance, and still have no luck getting wifi devices to connect to the node. Firmware is current (3.0.0.4.388_22525), but the problem started before I updated the firmware. I have tried to disconnect clients manually and attempted to reconnect in close proximity to the node, and it still goes back to the main router. I just completed a factory reset on both routers and set them up again, but the problem continues.

Before I go the route of replacing the system, anyone else experience this problem and have a fix for it?

Thanks,

JT

Have you tried disabling wifi on the main router to see if they'll connect to the node?

Smart connect sometimes isn't all that smart. A lot of people recommend not using it. It may be pushing clients to the main node for whatever reason.

Something does not seem right. I agree that SmartConnect can be frustrating but given time it does seem to settle down and work for me. I have Ethernet Backhaul Mode enabled on the router, AiMesh - System Settings. On the node I have Backhaul Connection Priority set to 1G WAN Only. The backhaul Ethernet is connected to a router LAN port and the WAN port on the node. May also be best to set fixed WIFI channels on all bands. 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz and as a test set the 5 GHz to 80 MHz and use non DFS channels. I also bind some clients to the router or node. When you get it to work then set the 5 GHz bands to 20-40-80-160 MHz.

Smart connect sometimes isn't all that smart. A lot of people recommend not using it. It may be pushing clients to the main node for whatever reason.

Wonder if the two nodes are far enough apart - if too close together, devices might camp on the lesser preferred one...

Syslog should indicate the association/deassociation/reassociations...

Something does not seem right. I agree that SmartConnect can be frustrating but given time it does seem to settle down and work for me. I have Ethernet Backhaul Mode enabled on the router, AiMesh - System Settings. On the node I have Backhaul Connection Priority set to 1G WAN Only. The backhaul Ethernet is connected to a router LAN port and the WAN port on the node. May also be best to set fixed WIFI channels on all bands. 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz and as a test set the 5 GHz to 80 MHz and use non DFS channels. I also bind some clients to the router or node. When you get it to work then set the 5 GHz bands to 20-40-80-160 MHz.
I'm getting something similar. 2 of my nodes either have 0 clients or 1 2.4GHz client. Tried removing all nodes, resetting, and adding back but that hasn't worked. These nodes (RT-AX86S) used to have 10+ clients. I am running Ethernet backhaul and have selected 1G WAN only. Any ideas?

1689204056886.png

I'm getting something similar. 2 of my nodes either have 0 clients or 1 2.4GHz client. Tried removing all nodes, resetting, and adding back but that hasn't worked. These nodes (RT-AX86S) used to have 10+ clients. I am running Ethernet backhaul and have selected 1G WAN only. Any ideas?

View attachment 51691

I hope that's a 5000 sq foot house at least?

7000sf. I am wondering if interference could be an issue though.

That's a lot of APs, my guess is there is just strong enough signal from multiple APs that nothing is causing things to roam. There is no "load balancing" or anything like that, client connects to whatever AP it thinks is best and the Asus only kicks it off/forces it to roam if the signal gets poor. You can try tweaking power levels (believe it is just one setting to cover them all though) and/or the roaming assistant thresholds. Is there a reason you have so many nodes, was 3 or 4 not enough?

I upgraded 2 nodes at a vacation home and brought the old XT8s back with me.

Turning off one node seems to have made a difference, so I guess it was interference after all. thanks for the help

Turning off one node seems to have made a difference, so I guess it was interference after all. thanks for the help

Likely the nodes are too close to each other - remember, the client makes the decision based how it sees the network, and how the OEM/Vendor has biased the Wifi chipset selection process...

Most clients will camp until RSSI gets around -70 dB - so depending on the real world topology, if the RSSI from all nodes is similar, it's going to camp on whatever node it is in - reselection has a cost associated with it, esp for mobiles and tablets..

With a single RT-AC3100 easily covering a multilevel 5K SqFt home (many years ago), there is too much WiFi here.

Less is more.

Only add nodes if and only if they actually improve range or speeds. With no detrimental side-effects either.