1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wireless Extender options

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by Boblin, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Boblin

Boblin New Around Here

Hi,

was after some advise or options as I need to extend the wireless through the house. I currently have. Netgear R6200v2 router in the middle of the house but am not getting very good coverage at either end of the house. I was looking at the Orbi products and they look quite good but will they do the job I rented img the wireless coverage and strength and are they compatible?
    If there are any other options or advice I would be very grateful.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I would suggest 2x RT-AC86U's in an AiMesh setup. It will be a very good improvement over what you're running now.

I would not recommend an 'extender/repeater' as that would make your existing WiFi experience worse if there is a lot of traffic on the 'extender', nor would I recommend a closed mesh system either.

With 2 Asus routers, you will have a variety of options to get the coverage you need, including wireless AiMesh, wired AiMesh, and AP mode too.

Buy two, but just open and test with one first in your home. It may very well be all the router you need. :)

HTH.

3. Klueless

Klueless Very Senior Member

I don't know what you just said?
    So you are getting coverage at the far ends ... just not very good. It's just possible, not guaranteed, but possible, that a "more better" router will do the job. Asus 86U or Netgear R7800 maybe? (I like Asus, I like their built-in traffic monitor.)

As usual, L&LD offers a great strategy;
    That said you do sound like an ideal three node tri-band mesh candidate. Replace your old router with the main mesh node and cover the weak sides of the house with the other two nodes. In addition to the Orbi you're considering I'm hearing good things about the tri-band Eero. (Full disclosure, I've never used either.)