What's new

Wireless Extender options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boblin

New Around Here
Hi,

was after some advise or options as I need to extend the wireless through the house. I currently have. Netgear R6200v2 router in the middle of the house but am not getting very good coverage at either end of the house. I was looking at the Orbi products and they look quite good but will they do the job I rented img the wireless coverage and strength and are they compatible?
If there are any other options or advice I would be very grateful.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 8373EB74-D3EA-4188-B6CA-7F558538514E.jpeg
    8373EB74-D3EA-4188-B6CA-7F558538514E.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 125
I would suggest 2x RT-AC86U's in an AiMesh setup. It will be a very good improvement over what you're running now.

I would not recommend an 'extender/repeater' as that would make your existing WiFi experience worse if there is a lot of traffic on the 'extender', nor would I recommend a closed mesh system either.

With 2 Asus routers, you will have a variety of options to get the coverage you need, including wireless AiMesh, wired AiMesh, and AP mode too.

Buy two, but just open and test with one first in your home. It may very well be all the router you need. :)

HTH.

... will they do the job I rented img the wireless coverage and strength and are they compatible
I don't know what you just said?
Netgear R6200v2 router in the middle of the house but am not getting very good coverage at either end of the house
So you are getting coverage at the far ends ... just not very good. It's just possible, not guaranteed, but possible, that a "more better" router will do the job. Asus 86U or Netgear R7800 maybe? (I like Asus, I like their built-in traffic monitor.)

As usual, L&LD offers a great strategy;
Buy two, but just open and test with one first in your home. It may very well be all the router you need

That said you do sound like an ideal three node tri-band mesh candidate. Replace your old router with the main mesh node and cover the weak sides of the house with the other two nodes. In addition to the Orbi you're considering I'm hearing good things about the tri-band Eero. (Full disclosure, I've never used either.)