What's new

Wireless IP cam

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyH

Very Senior Member
Hi,
Can some one suggest a decent entry level Wireless IP cam? I'd appreciate it.
Have to get my feet wet learning surveillance as a winter project. My NAS is DS713+ running DSM4.3. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Can some one suggest a decent entry level Wireless IP cam? I'd appreciate it.
Have to get my feet wet learning surveillance as a winter project. My NAS is DS713+ running DSM4.3. Thanks in advance.

Are you thinking of integrating it into the NAS, like an NVR? Or using it standalone, no recording, just motion notification or something? And as a fellow Synology owner, am I crazy or didn't the SOHO models used to have some limited camera control and/or recording capability, and they also made a standalone product for more cameras, high end fancy option stuff? Because now I just checked their website and there is no mention of cameras, surveillance, or that kind of security under DSM features.

http://www.synology.com/dsm/index.php?lang=enu

Anyway, depending on what kind of software (desktop, server, NAS, mobile, or otherwise - and also those decisions can dictate acceptable kinds of camera streams [h264 vs MJPEG]) you go with, I've personally had good experiences with relatively economical Foscams in the past (there are a lot of knock-offs of Foscam sold on eBay, make sure to buy from newegg, amazon, etc., or a known good seller).

I think the higher end of the market is dominated by Axis on the straight IP camera side, at least it seems to be whenever I check.

FWIW I had always hardwired my cameras, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get good results over 2.4ghz 802.11n now.

Last time I ran IP cameras, my needs were pretty modest and I had great success using a Mac program called iCamSource (requires a Mac desktop, acts a server in the background and did its own magic without port forwarding) & it's corresponding iOS app which gave me great, instant, motion alerts and can also do PTZ controls if camera is so equipped, but there's tons of stuff out there.

hth

Hi,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll play with one many different ways and decide.Mainly I am to watch small critters crawling in the back yard(stray cats, squirrels, mouse, wild bunnies, some times deer, etc.) PV solar array install. is almost complete now and IP cam is next on the list to keep myself busy.

Last edited:
Ahhh sounds fun. I've wanted to put a semi high res camera outdoors and aim it at my bird feeder for similar reasons...

Also it will be of great evidentiary value when I interrogate the squirrels. ;)

Hi,
Got hold of two cube cameras, Geovision GV-CBW220, Vivotek IP8336W. After two days, mainly the Geovision has very poorly written user manual, lot of time spent head scratching. Tried on Synology SS, and came across freeware iSPY software where both cameras are installed in no time. One watching front porch, one back yard. To go back to SS, I have to buy a camera license pack. When I get one more bullet camera for permanent install, wil have to decide between SS or iSPY.

Functions without delay ?
I've got quite a bit of experience setting up ipcameras ( Foscam and tenvis), they can all be quite buggy. They have to be set up with pc software which can be temperamental to say the least. By contrast using any android device as acctv camera is ridiculously easy to set up with no pc involvement and they seem to be rock solid stable. I use a pc programming called ispy connect to monitor all "cameras", motion detection and recording works just as well with the android cameras as it does with the proper cameras.
With proper cameras you're paying money for a stand alone device with motion detection which isn't very good, wireless connectivity which is flaky, random reboots which have the ptz cameras spinning all over the place.
How many people have got an android device sat in a drawer somewhere ? Or a tablet they don't use when they leave the home.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!