What's new

Wireless over long distance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

taveirne

New Around Here
Hi all

As usual, let me start by giving you some background to my problem.

I have two receptions at a customer site. Each are at opposite ends of the building and are at least 40 metres apart in a straight line. Sadly, there are multiple walls in the way which completely kills wireless signal. The internet comes in at reception A and is needed also at reception B. No cabling is possible as it's an old and extremely posh building with no cabling or trunk allowed to be visible, therefore forcing the use of Wireless.

Originally we had a wifi box at Reception A, a repeater in a room in the middle and a receiver in Reception B, all using WDS. Sadly, this kit has broken and needs repalcing, but seeing as it's very old, we cannot get direct replacements.

I'm therefore looking to replace with newer technology.

I've surveyed with a 80211n (draft) box and directional antenna but the signal dropped off 10 metres short. Short of recreating the original setup with newer kit, is there any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Adam

You probably have to use multiple hops to repeat the signal. You will only get a few Mbps of throughput at the far end, but that will be ok for basic web browsing and email. Make sure you are using 2.4 GHz band. 5 GHz has smaller range.

Or you could try powerline networking to connect the APs.

Your bet bet is to use a set of high power 11n bridges with directional antennas.

the enh200 will go through multiple walls and should get you a good conection from one end to the other.

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=328

having a repeater in the center is really not a good idea. You will most likely have less throughput and a less stable connection than with 2 high quality devices on each end.

I wonder if the power wiring is such that HomePlug would work?
Cheap enough to try - I see some sales on Newegg.

Does the building have ceiling tiles? If so, plenum-rated cat5 cable is legal and out of sight.

802.11b/g WiFi will generally do better in longer paths with obstructions because the modulation rate (speed) is lower and thus a lesser signal to noise is required.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!