What's new

Wireless Range - Thread repost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One more question then, instead of two or more routers connected via wired ethernet per floor or location, what about a wireless bridge specifically for the one device I have in a given floor or location? As far as I understand, bridges have no speed penalty like extenders/repeaters as long as they are ethernet connected to the device.

The only reason I ask this question is because of price. Are there quality bridges (only need to connect to one wired device) out there for under $40-50 (even two would still be cheaper than another ac1900 router) or are the best/most appropriate bridges just additional WiFi routers in the first place?

If yes any recommendations?

I did find the "tools" section on the main website and it is making me realize I might have my nomenclature wrong. What is the specific name for what I am looking for (connect to router via WiFi and it will then transfer that signal to a device via ethernet)? Adapter, bridge?

I did go ahead and buy a single "amazon" RT-ac68a after researching that it is indeed the same as the u.
I just realized why this post seems fairly silly. I should have of course mentioned that the devices in question are a couple of Samsung blu-ray players that have what appear to be pretty crappy WiFi cards.

Either way, if I want to play my Hi-Res bluray-->mkv files that may go up to 40-50mbps at times on them, I'll probably have to use an ethernet cable with them so was thinking of the bridge option. I think the WiFi signal is fine by them, they just can't handle the speeds.

sorry for confusion

So, after ordering an rt-ac68a from Amazon.com with a release date of 18Apr and then getting and updated expected delivery date of 18Aug last Thursday, I cancelled that order and got the Costco r6900.

All I can say right now is this thing is amazing. Im getting 130 Mbps in my back yard and it is PLENTY sufficient to stream REMUXED Blu-rays in .mkv format, more than I could have dreamed for :)

So a big thumbs up for the onsale Netgear R6900 @ Costco right now. According to Netgear it's the exact same hardware as the R7000.

Cheers! and thanks for all the wonderful info and advice! Very glad I went with AC1900

Problem with r6900 is you can only use stock fw as far as i know

Tilting helps in a two story house if the upstairs location directly above the router's antenna has a too weak signal. But tilting the antenna is very marginally useful in general. Too few dB difference.

If one does consider higher gain antennas, do not tilt them at all with AC1900 class, as the RF chains work together, and all need to be aligned...

Even with the default/standard gain antennas in a SU/MU-MIMO environment, keep them aligned...

Tilting helps in a two story house if the upstairs location directly above the router's antenna has a too weak signal. But tilting the antenna is very marginally useful in general. Too few dB difference.

No, no, no... with non-MIMO platforms, e.g. 802.11b/g, this might make sense, but with MIMO based platforms, in a two story platform, it's going to hurt rather than help...

No, no, no... with non-MIMO platforms, e.g. 802.11b/g, this might make sense, but with MIMO based platforms, in a two story platform, it's going to hurt rather than help...
Agree. MIMO based router? Don't change the antennas. Reason is very technical.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!