What's new

Wireless Router/ AiMesh mode over Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meadster

Occasional Visitor
So, I have a download speed to the router of up to 500mb with a 'guaranteed' 425mb which is what I get. I posted a few Q's here in the wireless section of the forum about expected wireless performance in general. Anyway, My set up includes a BT Smart Hub 2 as the router connected to the FTTP (need as my telephone line is now digital and goes through the hub) this is fine and I connected my AX nodes via ethernet to port 1 on the hub. Initially set up in the default setting as a wireless router and 4 nodes. Everything connects fine and the system sets everything connected to it from a specific ip address xxx.xxx.xx.1-xxx All good.

Really and truly, it should be set up in Access Point mode as that is what the system is. But does this really matter?

The AX system is using wireless backhaul (would like to use wired but there are many reasons why I don't) so I know I'm not going to hit top speed.

For this kind of setup, would someone be able to advise on whether I should be in AP mode or the default router mode and any other typical settings that may be of use to get the most from the system/ set up.

I think I've lost my way a bit on this. Just a little disappointed / high expectations that I had from my first experience of full fibre and a mesh system.

What router are you talking about? :)

In any case, I would use Router mode. I don't want the ISP to 'see' anything within my network.

The following links may be helpful.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

What router are you talking about? :)

In any case, I would use Router mode. I don't want the ISP to 'see' anything within my network.

The following links may be helpful.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Hi, the router is the ax6600. Thanks for the links will have a good read.

TP-Link? All bets are off! ;)

No, it's not a TP-Link pony. :)

But Zen series are still not what I would be running.

What AiMesh offers over AP mode is the Guest networks are propagated to the nodes. AP mode doesn't offer that. If that isn't an issue, try both ways and see which gives you the best results, overall.

No, it's not a TP-Link pony. :)

But Zen series are still not what I would be running.

What AiMesh offers over AP mode is the Guest networks are propagated to the nodes. AP mode doesn't offer that. If that isn't an issue, try both ways and see which gives you the best results, overall.
Thank you. Have switched back to router mode for the minute to see how that works which it was doingpretty good. Had to reduce the security to wpa/wpa2 as max as one of my devices (a weather station) doesn't like wpa2/wpa3. The choice of using the zen WiFi was by chance really, did some research albeit limited and it seemed like a good choice. I'd like to have gone for the quad band orbi stuff but that is horrendously expensive. Or is there a better choice? Would need to be able to connect my telephone to it as that goes through my current router.

This is just a small mesh network which needs the nodes connected wirelessly which will provide the best, consistent stable WiFi with acceptable speeds. Think I'm looking for rocking horse poop flies