What's new

Wireless Router Config With No PC Connected via Ethernet to Router (after setup)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmolli

New Around Here
I am contemplating the wireless config outlined below to accommodate a new BluRay player (Samsung BD-C6500, with ethernet) I am installing in my living room. I’m unsure if my wireless router and Comcast cable modem can function correctly out in my living room connected as outlined below. My reason for attempting this is to have a hard-wired (Ethernet) connection to the BD player for the best possible streaming of HD movies through the BD player. (Yes I know the BD-C6500 has wireless n, but I live in an apartment complex with tons of competing wireless signals causing poor wireless throughput)

Proposed Setup in Living Room:

1)Coax cable connection is available in wall behind entertainment center in living room
2)Split this coax with one run to my cable box/DVR and the other run to my cable modem
3)Install wireless router on top of entertainment center with Ethernet from cable modem to router
4)Hardwire BD player to router using an available router Ethernet port

I know I will need to have a laptop connected via Ethernet to the router to do the initial set up of the router in the living room.

My question is, after setup/configuration is complete, will the router and cable modem continue to function correctly after I disconnect the laptop??? Do I lose any network functionality with this configuration??

All of my other PC’s and laptops will connect wirelessly to the router in the living room.

Thanks in advance for your help,

John

My question is, after setup/configuration is complete, will the router and cable modem continue to function correctly after I disconnect the laptop??? Do I lose any network functionality with this configuration??
Yes, everything will continue to function after you disconnect the laptop used for configuration.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!