What's new

Wireless to an outbuilding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fermi

New Around Here
I’m going to be moving to a house which has an outbuilding about 90 feet from the house. I currently have a Netgear Orbi system. What would you all recommend to get service to the outbuilding (it’s a workshop now, we may convert it to an in law apartment)? I looked at the outdoor Orbi transmitter but not sure if that could daisy chain to another Orbi satellite in the outbuilding.
Or could I put a repeater that connects by power line Ethernet?

I’m going to be moving to a house which has an outbuilding about 90 feet from the house. I currently have a Netgear Orbi system. What would you all recommend to get service to the outbuilding (it’s a workshop now, we may convert it to an in law apartment)? I looked at the outdoor Orbi transmitter but not sure if that could daisy chain to another Orbi satellite in the outbuilding.
Or could I put a repeater that connects by power line Ethernet?

If feasible, I'd bury a direct burial Ethernet cable between the two buildings using a thinline trenching spade. Run it through a protective conduit where it comes out of the ground and enters the building.

OE

Does the outbuilding have power ?
If it does, check if there is a grounding wire from the electrical breaker panel to a buried rod. If there is, you can have a ground loop that can cause issues or even burn out electronics due to the difference in earth potential between the two buildings.
Point to point wireless, 2.4 GHz band, mounted under the building eaves or possibly placed in two windows that face each other should easily work unless you haves trees or something in the direct line of sight.
Close neighbors might be an issue on wireless as well.

otherwise, fiber would be the best bet between the buildings. Wire may work just fine. It depends on the soil.

i have had buildings that were 40 ft apart have enough potential difference that the network card fried.

bury cable in heavy plastic conduit all the way unless you can ensure no one will be gardening or digging in the area..

Make sure you get “direct burial “ grade cable. It keeps moisture away from the conductors.

Does the outbuilding have power ?
If it does, check if there is a grounding wire from the electrical breaker panel to a buried rod. If there is, you can have a ground loop that can cause issues or even burn out electronics due to the difference in earth potential between the two buildings.
Point to point wireless, 2.4 GHz band, mounted under the building eaves or possibly placed in two windows that face each other should easily work unless you haves trees or something in the direct line of sight.
Close neighbors might be an issue on wireless as well.

otherwise, fiber would be the best bet between the buildings. Wire may work just fine. It depends on the soil.

i have had buildings that were 40 ft apart have enough potential difference that the network card fried.

bury cable in heavy plastic conduit all the way unless you can ensure no one will be gardening or digging in the area..

Make sure you get “direct burial “ grade cable. It keeps moisture away from the conductors.

Good point about the ground loop. I wonder if code permits a bonding wire connection between two such Earth grounds (house and outbuilding) to prevent a potential difference and any ground loop currents. Just wondering... not suggesting to add that to this project but it might be done when first extending electric power to the outbuilding.

OE

I’m running a pair of ASUS RT-AC68U between 2 buildings about 150’ apart in a fairly congested area with lots of people running multiple non-standard channels.

With 9dbi antennas on both and one ALFA dual band directional antenna ($12) on the repeater I’m getting > 150 Mbps at about -60 dBm.

The 68U has replaceable antennas. I won’t buy a router without this feature.