What's new

wmm apsd?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

4Leaf

Hey Everybody!

Does anyone know if one were to disable wmm apsd if wifi multimedia would still be turned on or not? or is it like a combo thing to where you have to have wmm apsd as a whole to have wifi multimedia enabled on the Asus rt-n66u b1 router? Every other router I've had, I just had an wmm enable or disable option as to where this one does not for some reason. My Asus rt-n66u only has the wmm apsd enable or disable add on option. No other wmm settings on the rt-n66u. There should be more clarification about what enabling or disabling wmm apsd actually does on the rt-n66u. All it says is that it turns apsd on or off. That would make sense if there was also a setting that allowed one to turn wmm on or off also. This is why I am confused over this matter...

...and also, I always use qos; So does that effect rather or not I should have wmm apsd enabled or not for optimal results?

Another way to state what I am asking and wanting to know, just to be clear... Does disabling wmm apsd disable wifi multimedia all together? I have the Asus rt-n66u b1 router.

I've been looking for the answer to this question forever, and I would greatly appreciate any help to answering my question. I'm starting to think that no one knows the answer. I can't find a straight answer anywhere, in any forum or anywhere else on the internet.

So if you are reading this and you happen to know the answer or atleast some good knowledge about this subject, please reply.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that setting has nothing to do with multimedia.

WMM APSD is a QoS setting which, when enabled, allows some devices to go into a lower power and higher latency state while others stay as low latency as possible. WMM = QoS and APSD = Automatic Power Save Delivery.

Edit: Actually it allows applications to drive power save modes, QoS acts on the application level not the device level.

"The application-based approach used in WMM Power Save enables individual applications to decide how often the client needs to communicate with the access point and how long it can remain in a dozing state."

With WMM APSD off everything has to use the legacy powder save mode which adds latency the application cannot control.

Leave it on unless you have some applications which don't like it. :p

Last edited:
So it seems to me like your saying that there is no reason to turn it off unless i had a specific reason to. Like if it was causing problems... with something I'm trying to use. I haven't noticed any negative effects from leaving it on rather than just disabling it. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like with wmm apsd left enabled my latency stays a little lower.

I'm assuming that it is still best to leave wmm apsd enabled if I am using qos right?

Do u know anything about the optimize ack suppression and AMPDU aggregation settings?

I have a really weird type of internet.
http://turnerbroadband.com/about.html (link to my isp and explains what type of internet I have)

I've experimented a little bit with enabling ack suppression and leaving it on for a couple of days and doing speed test and stuff to see if it made my internet a little faster or not.

From what I've been reading it seems like the optimize AMPDU aggregation setting is pretty much the same thing as a block acknowledgement setting?

Last edited:
So it seems to me like your saying that there is no reason to turn it off unless i had a specific reason to. Like if it was causing problems... with something I'm trying to use. I haven't noticed any negative effects from leaving it on rather than just disabling it. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like with wmm apsd left enabled my latency stays a little lower.

I'm assuming that it is still best to leave wmm apsd enabled if I am using qos right?

Do u know anything about the optimize ack suppression and AMPDU aggregation settings?

I have a really weird type of internet.
http://turnerbroadband.com/about.html (link to my isp and explains what type of internet I have)

I've experimented a little bit with enabling ack suppression and leaving it on for a couple of days and doing speed test and stuff to see if it made my internet a little faster or not.

From what I've been reading it seems like the optimize AMPDU aggregation setting is pretty much the same thing as a block acknowledgement setting?

optimize ack is the same thing as ddwrt no ack. my experience with no ack is that SSL based communications are more likely to error and i've actually seen a very slight bandwidth decrease with it enabled. (.25mb/s) i understand that in theory it should be an improvement for either tcp or udp (eliminating wireless acks for each part of TCP's 3 way handshakes as well as gaming) but it hasn't been worth enabling in any scenario for myself, at least not at my congested apartment complex.