What's new

Wndr3700 + dg834gt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kpmkieran

New Around Here
I'm very much a novice when it comes to networking. Basics I can handle!

Anyways I have the title setup, a WNDR3700 paired with a DG834GT with DGteam Firmware. Tried using the DG834GT as a modem only but the WNDR3700 doesn't play nice with PPPoA so that idea went out the window!

I currently have the DG834GT setup as a modem/router wired to the WNDR3700 as a wireless access point. This setup seems to be working OK.

I'm slightly confused with the idea of an access point. To me it sounds like a glorified antenna.

For example I want to move a file from computer A to computer B, both of which are connected to the WNDR3700 wirelessly. Does traffic go:

Computer A - WNDR3700 - DG834 - WNDR3700 - Computer B
OR
Computer A - WNDR3700 - Computer B.

Ideally I would like the later with the DG834 handling just the internet traffic. Is the functionality of the WND3700 being restricted in anyway. I chose it as an upgrade for its high wireless throughput, will I be missing out on this in any way.

Any advice would be most helpful

Kieran

Just a bump for you, as I'm interested in exactly the same question. I intend to add my wndr3700 as an AP as my DG834v2 acts as the modem for ADSL, just curious as to whether i'll be restricting any of the wndr3700's best features?

Wireless to wireless traffic flows through the AP only. There is no need for it to touch the router.

When using any router as an AP, you are no longer using any of its routing features, i.e. anything involving WAN <> LAN traffic.

Just a bump for you, as I'm interested in exactly the same question. I intend to add my wndr3700 as an AP as my DG834v2 acts as the modem for ADSL, just curious as to whether i'll be restricting any of the wndr3700's best features?

Why not WNHDE111? Beware its port is 10/100 only. Shouldn't make a difference but I've actually seen it hit that limit before. Would have preferred gigabit ports.

I guess that's what the DAP-1522 is for I suppose, too bad about its poor wireless performance.

Last edited:
Haven't looked at the specs of that but if it's only 10/100 then no. My AP runs through a gigabit router using only 5Ghz

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!