What's new

WNDR3700, Powerplugs & WNHDE111

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Karde

New Around Here
Hey all,

Hoping just to get some clarification and advice before I go out and impulse buy more wireless network equipment.

Due to the extreme long range and various obstacles between my desktop and my router I'm currently searching for various methods to try and reduce the work my wireless signal has to do as well as try to eliminate some of the interference.

At the moment I connect to a WAG160N with a WMP300N, I manage a stable connection most of the time (3/5 bars if that measurement means anything), but I am plagued by other users on my network and interference from cordless phones etc. that really strains the connection and can cause it to drop.

Reading reviews on this excellent site, I'm tempted by a couple of options.

1st/

Keep my WAG160N and run a WNDR3700 along side it. Other wireless devices (G and N) that are close to the router can use the WAG160N, while my desktop with a WNHDE111 would link into the WNDR3700.

I'm worried however about the quality of the 5Ghz signal and that it is weaker than a 2.4Ghz when passing through walls etc.

2nd/

Keep my WAG160N and invest in 2 WNHDE111. Use powerplug tech to move the internet from the WAG160N to a place closer to my desktop, route it into the 1st WNHDE111 and transmit wirelessly to a 2nd WNHDE111 and then wired to my desktop.

WAG160N> (Powerplug AV)>WNHDE111>Wireless 5Ghz>WNHDE111>Ethernet cable>Desktop.

This method would seem to eliminate a lot of my problems, if this configuration is possible.

3rd/

Keep my WAG160N and use my homeplugs to route the internet closer to my desktop, wire it into a WNDR3700 and use that to wirelessly transmit both 2.4 and 5 Ghz which either my current wireless adapter or a new WNHDE111 could recieve. (Most expensive option)

Then people close to the WAG160N could wireless link into that, while I could wirelessly link into the WNDR3700, removing a lot of my interferance troubles.

Can anyone give any advice regarding my ideas or perhaps some opinions on other devices I should perhaps take a look at?

Thanks in advance,

Karde

(On a side note, I don't suppose anyone has heard which sort of wireless bands the new iPad will be able to pick up? I know it has wirelessN, but is it in the 2.4 or 5 Ghz range?)

[Edited for 3rd option]

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!