What's new

WNDR3700: Should I care about UDP speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KenOp

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I recently got a new WNDR3700 wireless router. While running some speed tests, I've found that the UDP thruput is very low. Using QCHECK on a wired connection on our LAN, UDP thruput averages < 5mbps, which is less than 1/10 the speed of my old 10/100 router.

TCP speed on the same wired LAN connections is fine, in the range of 300-500mbps.

I haven't (yet?) encountered any obvious bottlenecks due to this, so I'm asking simply to find out if it's something I should be concerned about.

Thanks,

Ken

Please clarify the two endpoints that you are running the test between.

Sorry! They are two computers running the released version of Windows 7, 64-bit.

The test was performed without an internet connection, and with Windows Firewall disabled (the only software firewall installed).

So this is a LAN to LAN test? That would have nothing to do with routing firmware, just the switch chip itself.

It's probably more due to the Qcheck program than the router/switch itself.

But you get 10X the UDP speed using the same exact setup if you just move to the old router's 10/100 switch ports?

But you get 10X the UDP speed using the same exact setup if you just move to the old router's 10/100 switch ports?

Yes, exactly so. No change other than switching routers. The BEFSR41 tests at around 65mbps, whereas the WNDR3700 averages around 3-5mbps.

Is there a real-world UDP test I could run to see if it actually matters to me? Or is it meaningless?