What's new

WNDR3700 showing 100M over LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

venkman781

New Around Here
Hi all,

After setting up my new 3700 yesterday, I cannot seem to get a gigabit LAN connection to my two PCs. I've tried most of the solutions I can think of, but wanted to get some different opinions.

The network is wired like this:
Arris Touchstone WMB760a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem > Netgear WNDR3700 (FW ver. 1.0.4.55NA) > Netgear GS605 v2 5 Port Gigabit Switch > PC1 and PC2

PC hardware looks like this:
PC1:
Win7 x32
Intel P35 chipset, Intel Q6600 Quad, 4GB RAM
Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Driver ver. 11.22.3.9)

PC2:
Win7 x32
Intel P35 chipset, Intel Q6600 Quad, 4GB RAM
Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller (Driver ver. 7.17.304.2010)

Here's the steps I've taken thus far:

For starters, I power cycled everything (modem, router, switch, PCs).

On the switch, port 1 is the router connection, ports 2 and 3 for each of the PCs. Regardless of how I swap around ports on the switch, the ports used by the PCs show green (1000M), the port used by the router shows amber (100M).

Then, I thought I had a faulty cable, so I swapped out the one that runs from router to switch. No change. Then I tried a third cable that I verified was 5e. Still no change. Then I tried plugging directly into one of the PCs and avoiding the switch altogether, still no change.

Next, I thought I had a bad port, so I tried plugging my Macbook Pro in directly to the same LAN port using a 5e cable and got a gigabit connection no problem. I still need to verify the other ports, so that's on deck for today.

After poking around on the Netgear forums, I tried adjusting the speed of each of my adapters in the Windows Device Manager so that they were on 1000Mbps Full Duplex, instead of Auto-Negotiation. Still no change.

In the router settings, I pulled up the statistics and confirmed that the WAN is connected at 1000M/Full. I thought I might have accidentally bottlenecked the router, but alas, I have not.

When I run out of possible cable/port options, I was going to try flashing to dd-wrt and see if a different firmware makes a difference...but I'm not certain I want to pull the trigger on that just yet as it is still in beta for the 3700.

I'm stumped, guys. Any thoughts on what else I should try?

Resolved

I was able to resolve this issue with (of course) something simple.

I adjusted the Advanced Properties setting from Auto-Negotiate to 1000M/Full Duplex on each of the adapters last night, although I realized today that I neglected to reboot the machines afterwards. *smacks forehead*

Anyway, the reboot did trick. Both adapters are showing GB now...

Thanks!

I was able to resolve this issue with (of course) something simple.

I adjusted the Advanced Properties setting from Auto-Negotiate to 1000M/Full Duplex on each of the adapters last night, although I realized today that I neglected to reboot the machines afterwards. *smacks forehead*

Anyway, the reboot did trick. Both adapters are showing GB now...

Thanks!

That's a very close call I would have said duff ports. But on gig side on your system best to set to force it for Gig access.

Well, I jumped the gun a little bit with my second post, but did manage to finally solve the problem after a bit more troubleshooting.

I thought for sure it would have been a bunk LAN port on the router, and so I tested them all with my Macbook Pro and a length of cat5e that came with the router. Got a 1000M connection out of of them without a problem.

That told me it was either 1) the cable to the switch was bad, 2) the switch itself was bad or 3) there was a setting that was wrong on the adapter side. I had forced both of the adapters to full duplex 1000M, so I started with the cabling and the switch.

Turns out it was both that had issues. I swapped out the cable and tested a direct connection to each PC, one at a time. Both produced a 1000M. So then I tried each of the ports on the switch and found that for some reason, port 1 on my switch wouldn't connect at 1000M speed, regardless of the new cable.

Then the NIC adapter is duff. Gig point A to Gig point B In my case even if I had changed the Ethernet cable I still got duff ports on Netgear. Even changed out the NIC and still got duff ports. Replaced the Netgear and no more duff ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!