What's new

Worth upgrading from 802.11b/g/n to 802.11ac?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keenan Ennis

New Around Here
I'm currently in a house with three levels, and the house isn't very wide at all. The router is located on the middle floor and fairly well-positioned. We pay for an internet connection of 50 Megas. The router is an EEE 802.11b/g/n Hawuei HG8045H. The main issue is that if you aren't in the same room as the router, the connection is super intermittent and one second will be like in the 40s and the next second drop to 2 to three Megas four hours. Sometimes after resetting, the connection completely disappears. If I upgrade the router to 802.11ac product, this will improve the distance the signal travels, the speed, and the problem with intermittency

Welcome and yes! Depending on what router you actually get and how it's configured too.

Sound like the old router is ready to give up the ghost? Almost anything newer will be better.

I would recommend an Asus router running on RMerlin firmware.

The RT-AC66U_B1 is the entry-level choice because it should be available at a lower price and with better hardware and performance than the original RT-AC68U.

The RT-AC3100 is also a good choice if you can find it on sale, great range and throughput.

Above the RT-AC3100 is the RT-AC86U. Currently, the best RMerlin supported AC router available.

The best RMerlin supported router you can buy is the RT-AX88U.

So, what is your budget?

If I upgrade the router to 802.11ac product

Are you sure you can upgrade the optical terminal? Because HG8045H is not just a router. Most likely you'll have to add a second router and disable WiFi on HG8045H. What you need as a WiFi solution depends on many factors, but if you are not too familiar with networking, then ASUS router is going to be a bit confusing for you, especially with custom firmware on it. I would look for a turn-key mesh network solution like Google WiFi, TP-Link Deco, Netgear Orbi, etc. They are more expensive, but much easier to setup and will provide far better coverage compared to a single router.

Are you sure you can upgrade the optical terminal? Because HG8045H is not just a router. Most likely you'll have to add a second router and disable WiFi on HG8045H. What you need as a WiFi solution depends on many factors, but if you are not too familiar with networking, then ASUS router is going to be a bit confusing for you, especially with custom firmware on it. I would look for a turn-key mesh network solution like Google WiFi, TP-Link Deco, Netgear Orbi, etc. They are more expensive, but much easier to setup and will provide far better coverage compared to a single router.

I currently live in Ecuador, so options are fairly limited. I didn't know that it was more than just a router. I was thinking of purchasing this router from the facebook marketplace "https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL/ref=asc_df_B07WMLPSRL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=397238452786&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2598044851558507326&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011164&hvtargid=pla-840352431481&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81954849497&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=397238452786&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2598044851558507326&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011164&hvtargid=pla-840352431481"

I didn't know that it was more than just a router.

Based on Huawei support page, HG8045H is an Optical Network Terminal + Router + 2.4GHz WiFi, or it's your combo device installed by your ISP provider. Before you get your own router or mesh system though, find out what options you have with this ISP device. Do you have access to its settings? Can it work as a modem only? Amazon eero is a home mesh system, not the best one, but it will work well with 50Mbps ISP. How it is going to be connected to your ISP device depends on what your ISP allows you to do with this Huawei device.