What's new

would upgrading to a GT-AC5300 from the RT-AC88u allow for greater range with a single router (No aimesh)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjs71072

New Around Here
Hello,
I currently have the RT-AC88U and I have some cameras outside that periodically fall off the network due to their distance from the wireless router. I've tried AIMesh and it works fine most of the time but it has periodically been causing the main router to drop its 5Ghz channel. If I was to replace the 88U and move to a larger GT-AC5300 would that theoretically increase the wireless range or would it just allow for an additional 5Ghz band (performance over range)?
Thanks

Unlikely it would increase range much. There all locked down to what ever power output is allowed in your region. Maybe try moving your router to another location or even play with the antenna by moving them around.

Thanks for the link. I went ahead purchased it today during amazon prime day. They had it new for $244. We'll see if the range is any better. Thanks for the responses.

Unlikely it would increase range much. There all locked down to what ever power output is allowed in your region. Maybe try moving your router to another location or even play with the antenna by moving them around.

I would tend to agree with this assessment as well. In fact, I thought along the same lines at one point until I tried the AC5300 only to end up returning it due to little or no gain on WiFi. I ultimately decided the best approach for me was to have a separate AP. So I ordered a AC68U (set up as an AP) and backhauled it to my primary AC68U in the basement. It blanketed my home perfectly across all three floors and now extends out to my garage and back patio area.

I just received the GT-AC5300 that I bought on Prime Day. As you all posted, I didn't gain much range but enough where the farthest camera now has two bars of signal. Thanks for all your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!