What's new

Wrong DHCP server and gateway RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avignon

New Around Here
I've had a RT-AC3100 for a couple of years now, but recently have run into a problem that has me tearing my hair out.

The gateway for the router is 192.168.1.1 .

However all my devices are being given addresses with a 192.168.2.1 gateway.

I have a Hitron CGN3 cable modem in bridge mode into the RT-AC3100.

When I enter 192.168.2.1 in a browser, up pops my neighbour's login page for his dsl router/modem.

I've temporarily gotten around it by manually assigning 192.168.1.1 ip addresses to my key devices. Until I did that I couldn't even access the login page of the RT-AC3100.

There's nothing in the router dashboard that indicates 192.168.2.1 and no solution is indicated to me by running ipconfig /all.

Any ideas?

Is the RT-AC3100 in router mode? Using the defaults after a full reset to factory defaults for NAT and Firewall?

What firmware version are you running? Has your router been compromised/hacked?

Is the RT-AC3100 in router mode? - yes
Using the defaults after a full reset to factory defaults for NAT and Firewall? - yes, I did several factory resets and set up from scratch (i.e. not importing old settings)

What firmware version are you running? The very latest one. All up to date. 3.0.0.4.384_45149
Has your router been compromised/hacked? Not that I know of.

I also run a 68u as an aimesh. Although I removed it to troubleshoot this problem, the 3100 sees it but can't add it (goes up to 99% then I get the prompt)

When I enter 192.168.2.1 in a browser, up pops my neighbour's login page for his dsl router/modem.
If it truly is your neighbour's device and not just the same model attached to your LAN then you need to determine how it has connected to your LAN. Has your neighbour ever been connected to your network before? Have you changed all your wireless SSID's and passwords?

If it truly is your neighbour's device and not just the same model attached to your LAN then you need to determine how it has attached to your LAN.
Has your neighbour ever been connected to your network before?
No
Have you changed all your wireless SSID's and passwords? Yes

I also run a 68u as an aimesh. Although I removed it to troubleshoot this problem, the 3100 sees it but can't add it (goes up to 99% then I get the prompt)
Have you rebooted the router and all your clients after physically disconnecting this device?

If the problem is still present I suggest that you disable the wireless radios on your router and reboot. If you can still connect to this rogue device then it means that it is connected by a cable to your LAN ports. It should then be fairly simple to track down the device.

Thanks - everything had been rebooted numerous times.
so I only had 2 devices cable connected - and one of them was the culprit.
Thanks loads for pointing me there.

It was a tp link pa8030p powerline adaptor which must have a DHCP server in it?
Is there some way to disable that and still use the powerline system?

It was a tp link pa8030p powerline adaptor which must have a DHCP server in it?
Is there some way to disable that and still use the powerline system?
That's interesting.

I had a quick look at the manual for the TP-Link and there's nothing to suggest that it has a DHCP server. In fact that would be very unusual for a powerline adaptor. Given that you said you were connecting to your neighbour's router and not some TP-Link device I'm wondering whether you have connected to your neighbour's powerline network?

By using the TP-Link powerline utility you should be able to change your powerline "network name". See chapter 4 in the manual. Powerline adaptors use the same "HomePlugAV" name by default.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!