What's new

Wrong ethernet port link speed in network map

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why are you reluctant to do a simple test with another external switch to see what bandwidth it is showing? :rolleyes:

They already confirmed other devices show 1G in the GUI when plugged in. Probably some issue with how the GUI parses the speed info from the backend, certain MAC addresses are throwing it off or something.

They already confirmed other devices show 1G in the GUI when plugged in. Probably some issue with how the GUI parses the speed info from the backend, certain MAC addresses are throwing it off or something.
Yes, but he refused to plug the NAS into another external switch. So maybe there´s something wrong with the NAS and not with the router? It doesn't take much effort to do that...

Yes, but he refused to plug the NAS into another external switch. So maybe there´s something wrong with the NAS and not with the router? It doesn't take much effort to do that...

They have an external switch connected to the router and it also reports 100M in the GUI even though it is getting gig speed.

If the nas has multiple ports then it could be devices that report themselves as bridges that are messing up the parsing.

If you're implying the NAS is somehow telling the GUI the wrong link speed directly, that isn't possible. Nothing in the NAS could cause a physical link speed of 1G but have it displayed as 100M. This is just a display bug in the Asus GUI. I don't think anyone refused to do your test, it's just that it had already been done essentially.

The NAS reports 1G link, and the Asus CLI is too. So this is purely a cosmetic bug in the Asus GUI.

Last edited:
On my GT-AX6000 I had port 2 that was reporting the wrong speed (also 100 Mbps), try several cables but it turned out that it was a small union connector (the other computer was located in a different room and because of the distance had to use two interconnected cables) that was deffective and once replaced by a spare one, bingo, port 2 turned green and showed 1 Gbps).

In your case it was reporting the correct speed, your cabling issue was preventing 1G link speed. That's different from the OPs issue (unless you were able to exceed 100M on that port when it was reporting 100M).

In your case it was reporting the correct speed, your cabling issue was preventing 1G link speed. That's different from the OPs issue (unless you were able to exceed 100M on that port when it was reporting 100M).
Agreed but I had a similar scenario where the reported download speed on that computer was constantly exceeding the reported 100 Mbps and is the reason why I have mentioned my experience to him (it had not occurred to me that it was that very simple device (I had 4 of them available at home), obviously now 3 since I have discarded the faulty one) that was the cause of my problem..

Last edited:
If you're implying the NAS is somehow telling the GUI the wrong link speed directly, that isn't possible.
I'm very careful with the word "impossible"....

I would still simply connect the NAS to another external switch and see what bandwidth this external switch then displays. I'm NOT talking about what the NAs is showing, but what the external switch is showing.

Agreed but I had a similar scenario where the reported download speed on that computer was constantly exceeding the reported 100 Mbps and is the reason why I have mentioned my experience to him (it had not occurred to me that it was that very simple device (I had 4 of them available at home), obviously now 3 since I have discarded the faulty one) that was the cause of my problem..

Were you exceeding 100M in both directions or only download? If you had a single pin messed up it is possible one direction was getting gig and the other 100M. But that would be a very strange scenario (they should have negotiated to the lowest common possible link speed if they were behaving properly), and a coupler is a totally passive device. Could potentially have actually been an OK coupler and just by unplugging and replugging maybe it triggered the GUI to refresh the speed.

There definitely seems to be a bug with the GUI.

I'm very careful with the word "impossible"....

I would still simply connect the NAS to another external switch and see what bandwidth this external switch then displays. I'm NOT talking about what the NAs is showing, but what the external switch is showing.

Not sure why you're so insistent.

Asus CLI is reporting 1000/Full
NAS CLI is reporting 1000/Full
They are getting >100M speeds
Asus GUI is reporting 100M

I'm assuming the switch that is also having the same issue in the asus GUI (which is getting >100M too) is probably reporting Gig on the port lights (assuming it has them) and Asus CLI is also reporting 1000/Full.

Obviously a bug with Asus GUI.

Were you exceeding 100M in both directions or only download? If you had a single pin messed up it is possible one direction was getting gig and the other 100M. But that would be a very strange scenario (they should have negotiated to the lowest common possible link speed if they were behaving properly), and a coupler is a totally passive device. Could potentially have actually been an OK coupler and just by unplugging and replugging maybe it triggered the GUI to refresh the speed.

There definitely seems to be a bug with the GUI.
No that coupler was definively bad since I have try it with the other ports and different cables with the same results, which was not the case with my 3 other couplers. Mind you that I had the same problem with my old RT-AC86U with that defective coupler.

After further research, installing entware and checking out my config. I found that it was reading 100mbps on two ports.

So I finally just took everything apart completely to get to the bottom of it and realized my mistake fairly quickly. I have my router mounted on the wall mostly hidden behind my TV, just above the mount. But because of how it's mounted, the ports are backwards, 4,3,2,1 and I overlooked that while troubleshooting.... 🤦‍♂️

I swear I plugged them in one by one before and it was the NAS and switch getting 100mbps, but that is not the case now. I have confirmed that it's the TV and PS5 that are getting 100mbps. Who knew a basically brand new high end premium 4k tv would only come with a 100mbps port. They recommend using the Wi-Fi because its faster..:rolleyes: The PS5 should be gigabit though... I'll dig into that later.

Anyways, thanks for all the assistance, I appreciate all of your help!

me@myrouter:/tmp/home/root# ethctl eth0 media-type
Auto-Negotiation: Enabled
PHY Capabilities: 1GFD|1GHD|100MFD|100MHD|10MFD|10MHD
Link is Up at Speed: 1G, Duplex: FD
me@myrouter:/tmp/home/root# ethctl eth1 media-type
Link is Up at Speed: 100M, Duplex: FD
me@myrouter:/tmp/home/root# ethctl eth2 media-type
Link is Up at Speed: 100M, Duplex: FD