What's new

WRT400n, DIR-655 or N1 Vision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kafou

New Around Here
Hi,

I want to replace by old WRG54G with one of these router. In my house, I have some spots where the signal is very poor and I have trouble when I want to stream music and video with my PS3 from my Macbook. Yesterday I tried the WRT120n but it's only a little bit better than my old router. After some searches a plan to buy one of these. What I have is a computer wired to the router, a Macbook, an Airport express in the basement only for streaming music from Itunes and a PS3 not wired. I don't have trouble with my music from the airport express, only the PS3 that give me some trouble. Wich one is the best one for me.

Thanks

Hi,

I really want your opinion because here we have 3 routers with very different spec. The WRT400n is a dual band which my macbook have. The Dir-655 is a single band with 3 antennas and the Belkin is a single band with 3 radios. So they seem to be 3 good routers but maybe one is better for my setup.

Thanks
Kafou

N routers will not extend your range. They provide higher speed at a given distance.
If you want better range, you need to move the router if possible or try a different adapter on the problem client. What are you currently using for the PS3?

N routers will not extend your range. They provide higher speed at a given distance.
If you want better range, you need to move the router if possible or try a different adapter on the problem client. What are you currently using for the PS3?

For now I use PS3 Media Server with my macbook mainly to stream Apple lossless music. So the PS3 Media server transcode my Apple lossless to a media recognize by the PS3, maybe .WAV. I will do some test to be sure that is not the application the problem. I don't bought something to have the wifi on my PS3, it's part of the machine.

Thanks

Your first post said the PS3 is not wired. How is it connected to the network?

Your first post said the PS3 is not wired. How is it connected to the network?

Wireless. I am right now testing some setup. I take my old WRT54G and put it
very near of my PS3 and my Macbook very close too. It worked very good for a few minutes but after a begin to have glitch in my music. And a strange thing is that I wasn't able to acces my router. I will try with the PS3 wired to the router.

Wireless. I am right now testing some setup. I take my old WRT54G and put it
very near of my PS3 and my Macbook very close too. It worked very good for a few minutes but after a begin to have glitch in my music. And a strange thing is that I wasn't able to acces my router. I will try with the PS3 wired to the router.

OUPS, I was unable to acces my router because a entered the wrong IP adresse.

Finally, it seem that I have 2 troubles, one is when my router is too far from my macbook and my PS3 and one is a setup in PS3 media server. I think that I found the one with PS3 media server. Now I have to boost the bandwith of my router, found a better place for my router or use an AP. The most easy for me is to find a router with a better bandwith, witch of the 3 on the title will suit my need the best? Is it necessary to wired the AP to the router or I can go wireless with the AP, and place it in between my Macbook worst place and my router. It will not be easy to route Eternet cable in my house, so not easy to move my router or wired it to an AP...

Thanks

Hi,

So I buy the WRT400n and I will see if I have better success with this one. Is these some settings that are important to tweak to have the best performance from this router?

Thanks

Kafou

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!