What's new

WRT610N - Laptop cannot find N-signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TopperH

New Around Here
Hi.

I hope someone can help me out.

I've just purchased the WRT610n and want to hook it up with my Asus UL30vt which has an Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN wireless card. I can only connect/find the 2.4 Ghz network and not the 5 Ghz. However, i also have a WET610N bridge which can connect to the WRT610n using 5 ghz N band. Hence, the problem must be with my laptop. I don't have much confidence in Asus being able to solve this issue, and i am hoping that someone here can tell me if i can change any configuration in the WRT610n that will allow my Asus UL30VT to connect using the faster 5 Ghz N band.

I will use the setup to stream media from my laptop to my PS3, where the WET610n is attached to, and therefore i need the high bandwith...

Thanks in advance..! :)

Topper.

Your adapter doesn't support 5 GHz operation. If an 11n device doesn't support 11a, odds are it's 2.4 GHz only.

Thanks. I must have misunderstood something. I was convinced 802.11n was on the 5 Ghz, but i now realize it is on the 2.4 Ghz. Thank you for clarifying this newbie question :)

Thanks. I must have misunderstood something. I was convinced 802.11n was on the 5 Ghz, but i now realize it is on the 2.4 Ghz. Thank you for clarifying this newbie question :)
Most commonly, a wireless router with 11n support is 2.4GHz with some products offering dual-band by adding 5.8GHz. Beware, some can't do both simultaneously. On the PC side, we have the same situation.

Most 5.8GHz equipment is not 11n; it's 11a. Which is essentially just as good as 11n's 20MHz mode. The 40MHz mode of 11n is rare so far in products for 5.8GHz.

The main advantage of 5.8GHz is the band is so far less crowded than 2.4GHz. There are other considerations on pros/cons of 5.8GHz.

Thank you for clarifying. Last time i looked into this was when the WRT54GL was the new hot stuff.... a lot of stuff has happened since i must say :D

The WRT610n is dual band. Right now the connection to my laptop is 2.4ghz N with the router on 20/40 Mhz auto. I get about 160 Mbps which is pretty nice i think. The connection between my PS3 WET610n and the router is on the 5 Ghz band and the speed there is 270 mbps. So everything works like a charm. I can even stream HD video content without any problems.

Thank you for the help...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!