What's new

x4s (r7800) vs X6s (r8000p)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Austermiller

New Around Here
Same special sale price so I bought both to research, I'm having trouble with deciding. The x6s seems to have more power, but the x4s looks to be higher rated. At the same price which one is the better device?

1 gig service, 9-12 wifi devices, 4 wired.

The R7800 actually is more powerful, both in terms of the WiFi chipset and CPU. I’d go with it over the R8000P not only has the R7800 been out longer (more mature firmware) it outperforms the R8000P in general. Unless you really think you need the extra 5Ghz band I wouldn’t get the R8000P.

So I got 3 routers to test the Netgear X4S R7800, ng X6s r8000p, and just because it was cheap the Linksys max stream EA8300.
Is it crazy that my 5g WiFi tests through my house showed the X6s only being able to deliver high speeds right next to it in the 300mbps range but dropped to 80 at distance with around 12 ping and 18 up. The X4s, got up to around 400 mbps close distance than at the worst around 130 at the furthest part of my house with 16 ping and 16 upload. Which was an all around solid performer. However the linksys just killed it over 500 mbps down 22 up with 8 ping close range and around 250-300 down at furthest point maintain low pings and around 20 up. Is this really that good of a router I thought the X4s would kill it?! Should the X4s be performing better, is it set up problem?

Last edited:
R7800- With an Intel 8265ac equipped laptop I get around 68-72 MB/s (540-580 Mbps) transfers from my NAS to laptop, transfers in the opposite direction are about 45 MB/s (360 Mbps). This is on the same floor through 2 walls about 10-15 ft away. Speeds are almost the same one floor below. Intel 7260ac adapter gives about 60-62 MB/s Down and 25-30 MB/s up in transfers between laptop and NAS, in my environment.

Last edited:
Do you have any suggestions as to why for me the cheaper router is coming up better. I’m new to this maybe my settings or set up? Doesn’t make much sense. For testing I’m using a laptop and and iPhone in multiple locations of my house with the ookla speed test app. I’m gettig gig service, my modem shows 800 in and only the linksys has put out over 500 wireless. What should I do to get my 7800 working better?

What client devices did you use for testing and what settings did you change in the router?

What client devices did you use for testing and what settings did you change in the router?
I’m using an iPhone 7 an iPhone X an Xbox one x and an asus notebook and just running ookla speed tests in different parts of my house for all the routers. Don’t really know a better method. The settings I changed were enable ipv6, put both bands under the same ssid, I used a WiFi analyzer and put the 5g on what looked like a less crowded channel.

Pls don't cross post...
Well the other similar post was after I bought everything and tested so I posted in general. This post was before I bought trying to make a decision, in buying advice. However since avtella was helping me before I wanted to update him on my findings after I bought and tested. New here if I knew how to tag him to my other post I would have done that instead. My apologies if that’s a problem.