What's new

x86/x64 router build advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The simple answer is yes, but devices connecting to any WiFi SSID on your AP will be able to connect to any device on your LAN and will not be isolated from connecting to your intranet.

Well, that defeats the purpose of having a guest wifi. I would like to avoid having to use 2 APs if possible, hence the question.

Not sure if I could tap here or start a new post.

But now I’m thinking of something like this.

Is there a downside to have 1 box do everything or is better to split the services
Like VPN,Smart QoS, Ad blocker, Firewall, Suricata, Squid, Squidguard, Router.

From one of those small black boxes with Intel 2.2 GHz AES-NI CPUs that have like 4-6 Ethernet ports and no WiFi, then add a Ubiquiti AC to the Ethernet port for WiFi.

Thanks.

Sorry to bump an old thread. Been using sophos utm for the last 3 years as the main firewall/ips/web proxy/etc device. I found it easier to understand compared to their XG product.

I have a i5 6600K, 32GB ram box running esxi. Several vm's including utm, asterisk (w/ fax), nextcloud, ups monitoring, windows 10, and a few others reside on it. Wifi is provided by older asus/netgear routers configured in AP mode. Intel quad port nics are cheap on ebay.

The downside is if it goes down, all those services go down with it.