What's new

X92u Wireless Backhaul and Passive in WiFi Log

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alloy202

New Around Here
I've been fighting with my x92u wireless backhaul for about a week now. To be upfront, where I live seems to be affected on and off by radar triggering the DFS channels used in 5ghz-2 (in my case the backhaul) more often than would be ideal but I feel that the issue I'm facing still stands.
The node sits literally directly across from the main AP separated by 6 feet and two windows (my apartment is an odd shape with walls of steel and concrete hence the need for a mesh) with signal strength typically in the 45dBm range over 5ghz.
The issue I'm having is the wireless backhaul is not intelligently moving channels when a DFS channel is locked out by Radar. Channel selection is set to auto and 20/40/80 to give it the biggest "choice" but typically it'll reduce the bandwidth from 40 to 20 if part of the band in use is triggered by radar then fall back to 2.4ghz if both channels (when using 40mhz or the current channel when using 20mhz) are triggered within the 30 minute lockout window. If it falls back to 2.4 it'll never switch back to 5ghz even after channels are free. A reboot is required in order to operate on 5ghz again.
Any idea what's going on here, and what I can do to fix it?
The second part of my question may better inform the first however after a lot of searching I cannot find a definite answer to what "Passive" means in relation to DFS channels within the WiFi log. The best I've found is that the channel is sitting idle checking to see if radar is operating, but from what I gather should not lock the channel from use for WiFi.
Lastly, and I believe this is a common complaint, why does the backhaul never use 80mhz when 20/40/80 is selected. It'll only do so if explicitly set to 80mhz.
Cheers

Edit: I neglected to mention that both units were running the latest firmware and have just this moment been updated to the latest RC2. However this doesn't seem to have fixed this issue.

Edit 2: I didn't want to sound completely negative and would like to add that when it is stable on at least 40Mhz it runs like a dream giving full access to my internet connection and saturating the link during local file transfers, matching a hardwired connecting to my router and local NAS respectively.

Last edited: