What's new

Xbox360 wireless connection problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting.

I'm going to have to check this out as I'm running Shibby's firmware and having the same problem when running the wireless but I don't account for everyone running this firmware. Will check with others running Shibby's and see if they say it is working just fine. I was under the impression this was a hardware issue with the Wan Driver directly through Asus, not a OS firmware.

As anyone tried RMerlin suggestion on Asus forums?

Posted:10/21/2012 12:12:00 PM # 9
Try changing the "Enhanced interference management" option under Wireless -> Professional, then reboot your router. That option was added in build 246 - see if it helps.

Similarly on Xbox.com forums by FlashyMetal2....

16 Dec 2012 5:42 PM
Suggested Answer
I upgraded to version 260 and experienced serious network performance issues from the xbox (wired and wireless). *I downgraded back to 246 and it seems to be working solid again. *Hope this helps.

?

Last edited:
Any news from Asus?

Any word from Asus if the next firmware revision will fix the xbox wireless connection issues? I have a rt-n66u that is connected to a new xbox slim and it is exhibiting the same issues as others have described in this thread. I can throw my wrt54g router on and I am able to stream hd video with no issues at all.

Support?

FWIW, I spent 2 hours with Asus support trying to fix the xbox issue. The tech said they have been aware of the issue and instructed me to download the latest fw pack located here: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/PUB/ASUS/wireless/RT-N66U_B1/ I downloaded 310390.zip, and it actually broke all wireless function. Luckily, I was able to roll back to the previous version. I am concerned that I have a $200 wireless router that is somewhat crippled because of its lack of xbox support. I have had the router for 11 months now and I want my money back. After this experience I am doubtful whether I will continue to buy Asus products. Would someone from Asus please resolve our issues?

Have you given Version* 3.0.0.4.246 a go? Apparently several users were successful at having reliable Xbox 360 connectivity. Obviously that can only be considered a temporary fix.

3.1.0.3.90 is nearly a year old.

Merlin, I mentioned that to the support person when I saw the 2/2012 date. They said the date is wrong and it's an out of sequence fw revision. I am no expert, but I knew something was wrong when the tech said the date is wrong.

Yes, I have tried 4.246 and it was no better than 4.260. When using the Xbox and streaming recorded HDTV, the bandwidth caps at 850kb/s to 1mb/s. When running wired or on my old router I average 5.5mb/s when streaming recorded HDTV.

Merlin, I mentioned that to the support person when I saw the 2/2012 date. They said the date is wrong and it's an out of sequence fw revision. I am no expert, but I knew something was wrong when the tech said the date is wrong.

Yes, I have tried 4.246 and it was no better than 4.260. When using the Xbox and streaming recorded HDTV, the bandwidth caps at 850kb/s to 1mb/s. When running wired or on my old router I average 5.5mb/s when streaming recorded HDTV.

I would try one of the two things below:

1) Make sure the QoS is disabled in your traffic manager.

2) Make sure your cable is Cat5e or better. I switched my cable to a 'new cate5e' today and it improved my dl on Steam games from 300kb~1.2MB/sec to 5.0MB/sec. It turns out I was using a cat5 and before that I had a cat5e which had a very small "dent" in it (it's quite old).

I would highly recommend you to make sure that your connection between the 'modem and the router's WAN port is connected with either a cat6 or cat5e (Not Cat5!) ethernet cable, because all of the ports on the ASUS RT n66u are Gigabyte ports (supported 100% by all cat6 ethernet wires and cat5e cable; they're pretty cheap right now like only around a few bucks on neweggs).

I read that the Cat5 ethernet wire was only 'officially' out of the market since last year (2011), so many people still probably have a ton of cat5 wires laying around their house (seeing that all my old routers had left me with '6' cat5 wires and only 1 cat5e wire in total).

EDIT: *** Make sure you have a good cat5e wire because some cat5e wires aren't 'certified'/designed especially to be compatible with gigabyte ports. Cat6 Ethernet wires are really your safest bet to get good compatibility with gigabyte ports, and it's also a good investment to LAN home-networks in my opinion***

-
Previous Firmware: .162.14b merlin firmware
Current Firmware: .220 stock firmware

Both are very stable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. When I connect my cat6 cable it works fine. I have the same wireless performance issues the other people have in this thread. After running wireshark last night, it definitely looks like the issue is on the Asus side when compared to my other wireless router that works fine. I wonder if the issue is isolated to the 2.4ghz band only. Has anyone tried the Xbox 5ghz dongle to see if that fixes the issues?

Apparently, the adapter works around the issue. But then again as I said that's a workaround and a rather pricey one at that, considering the amount already spent on the router itself!

Got the xbox 5ghz dongle at best buy for $59.99 last night. Installed and configured 5ghz network. Everything seems to be fine and I get a consistent 5-8mb/s when streaming recorded tv. I also tried the dongle at 2.4ghz and it too worked fine. Since my old router worked fine at 2.4ghz with the xbox, I would bet the issue is with the n66u at 2.4ghz and its lack of compatibility with the on board wireless card in the xbox. A wireless driver fw upgrade from Asus should be able to resolve the issue. I hope it happens soon, I sure hate paying $60 so the xbox can play nice with the n66u.

As anyone tried RMerlin suggestion on Asus forums?

Similarly on Xbox.com forums by FlashyMetal2....

?
This works. I was testing with Netflix/halo 4 multiplayer and my download was staying around 50KB/s (Halo god awful slow and Netflix would pause every minute while running very low def), as soon as I disabled "Enhanced interference management" my streaming speed went up to 500 to 1000KB/s, my movie was now in HD and halo was playable. FYI My current build is 260. Also note the Xbox only supports connections at 2.4GHz N, and not the 5GHz. This change is only listed in the 2.4GHz setting.

Quote:
Posted:10/21/2012 12:12:00 PM # 9
Try changing the "Enhanced interference management" option under Wireless -> Professional, then reboot your router. That option was added in build 246 - see if it helps.

Does anyone have any updated info on this issue? I suspect my ASUS RT-N66U will be here in a few days, and now that I've found this, I borderline already want to send the thing back -.-

Last edited:
Does anyone have any updated info on this issue? I suspect my ASUS RT-N66U will be here in a few days, and now that I've found this, I borderline already want to send to thing back -.-

No this is still an issue. The only way around it is to use an external solution such as an adapter or an extra router in client mode, other than that you're going to have hook your slim up wired. The Enhanced interface management option is not a fix and does not solve the issue. The slim can't get a downlink speed no greater than 5.5 mbps.

There won't be any issues playing games, as games usually don't require much bandwidth to play online. You are going to notice the problem during downloads and trying to stream high definition content.

I've since tested with 4 slims with all firmware revisions and 2 RT-N66U's from the time I first posted.

No this is still an issue. The only way around it is to use an external solution such as an adapter or an extra router in client mode, other than that you're going to have hook your slim up wired. The Enhanced interface management option is not a fix and does not solve the issue. The slim can't get a downlink speed no greater than 5.5 mbps.

There won't be any issues playing games, as games usually don't require much bandwidth to play online. You are going to notice the problem during downloads and trying to stream high definition content.

I've since tested with 4 slims with all firmware revisions and 2 RT-N66U's from the time I first posted.

Ugh. That's a monsterous problem for me given that more than 2/3rds of my Xbox usage is streaming via netflix or my own network.

Guess my WRT54G can't be retired yet after all. The poor thing is almost 10 years old =/

Ugh. That's a monsterous problem for me given that more than 2/3rds of my Xbox usage is streaming via netflix or my own network.

Guess my WRT54G can't be retired yet after all. The poor thing is almost 10 years old =/

heh yeah those are sturdy little beast. That's exactly what I use as my external alternative. I have my wrt54g v2 setup in client mode to act as my wireless adapter for the slim I have.

I must admit seeing this problem did put me off buying an N66u even when they were at a historical low price in early December.

Has anyone tried the other suggestion from the Asus forums of setting a wholly different SSID on the 5GHz and 2.4GHz?

I must admit seeing this problem did put me off buying an N66u even when they were at a historical low price in early December.

Has anyone tried the other suggestion from the Asus forums of setting a wholly different SSID on the 5GHz and 2.4GHz?

I have different SSIDs and it does not help. And since xbox slim only can use 2.4GHz, why should it?

Don't shoot the messenger. It appears to work for this poster in #14.
Strange. My SSIDs differs by only one letter, and I don't have the time to test and change that in the near future, I have way to may devices to reconfigure if I do.