What's new

Xbox360 wireless connection problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oooooooook... clearly I screwed up something horribly trying to client bridge my WRT54G to my Dark Knight. Or perhaps my WRT54G is just too strong.

Point is... the bridge is successfully receiving an internet connection wirelessly from the Dark Knight. The problem? Nothing connected to the Dark Knight is receiving internet access via wireless anymore lol. I have to plug an ethernet cable into the WRT54G, and then magically both my WIFI adapter and ethernet adapter have internet again. Effectively, my WRT54G stole the internet. Any idea what could possibly be causing this madness? Apparently I'm too rusty to make this pseudo fix work properly.
I have no idea what could have caused that. You shouldn't have had to change any settings on the 66u. What you'll want to do with the WRT54g is disable wan connection, turn off DHCP and disable any other settings like DNS. Take the router out of gateway mode and put it in router mode.

Change the routers local ip to something in the same subnet as the 66u. Then go to wireless and set it up in wireless Bridge mode. Put in the SSiD to the 66u and input any security you're using over wireless.

That should be all you'll need to do. Which firmware are you using on the wrt54g?

Haha, thanks for trying to help anyway. I had actually forgotten to change my wireless adapter back to auto config after having it manually assigned to a specific address. Had to play around with a few things to help me identify which device is which on my network while I was pulling MAC addresses to get everything set back up and just flat forgot to change it back. I'm definitely rusty to be making rookie mistakes like that one ;)

Suppose my WRT54G was working too well for too long.

Seems the WRT54G is still going to be stubborn any way it can though. It refuses to adhere to the static IP I set it to. Unless the MAC address the Dark Knight is seeing on it's network isn't the actual MAC address of the WRT54G, it's supposed to be .99 on my network and instead it's (for the moment) .52. It also likes being .36. Not a huge issue... though it seems to be causing some random fluctuating NAT problems.

Last edited:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9414

Does anyone with our specific issue want to try out the new beta firmware? Apparently it has a new driver. I would like to try it myself just to see but I have a lot of devices on my network that rely on me having custom firmware.

It would be a huge hassle for me, I'll have to wait either way. But it would be nice to know if they've finally fixed the Xbox 360 Slim wireless network issue.

I'll give it a try as my RT-N66U has proven to be too unreliable with my Xbox compared to my wrt54g.
Its main use right now is to take dust as an optional AP (very disappointing to say the least). If I had known I would have waited to buy or would have bought from another company (that is coming from a sold out Asus aficionado!)

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9414

Does anyone with our specific issue want to try out the new beta firmware? Apparently it has a new driver. I would like to try it myself just to see but I have a lot of devices on my network that rely on me having custom firmware.

It would be a huge hassle for me, I'll have to wait either way. But it would be nice to know if they've finally fixed the Xbox 360 Slim wireless network issue.

Tested. Still no change :mad:

...Insert about 35 curse words in this line...

Anybody else want to have a conference call with ASUS to explain to them that this isn't a brush-aside matter, and that it needs to be fixed, pronto?

+1 here... This routeur makes me feel miserable each time that I do a new test with the xbox... Absolutely horrendous!!!!! Even the menus are slower in Media Center!!!! My wrt54g makes it looks like a 386 compared to a dualcore... Damn I'm pissed! I can't believe that I've felt for such lemon!

To be honest, I love this router. It's a solid piece of machinery. I've only ever had one problem with it. That would be the fact that the wireless downlink speed is capped at 5.5 mbps on the Xbox 360 Slim. That leaves slow download speeds for game updates. Streaming media is pretty much impossible to watch. While it's showing a connection at 5.5 mbps, It also remains sporatic.

I first reported my problem and had it confirmed by Asus themselves 7 months ago. I first posted the problem on here nearly 6 months ago. I've constantly given them the benefit of the doubt, I've stood up for them and suggested other people give them time to work out the issue.

After all this time, Jeremy the representative for asus has been kind enough to check into the issue twice on our behalf. But with no feedback what so ever from Asus other than they know there's a problem. I'm done with waiting. I believe everyone on here with our problem should make your voice heard.

If you would like to be heard and try and force a solution from Asus. I suggest everyone with our specific issue chip in and report the problem(again). Hopefully if enough of you visit http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx and spam them with the issue. Just maybe we'll get some kind of response out of these people.

I've already submitted my form and left links to this page, the post I made to Microsoft and every subsequent post I've ever made on the issue. I'm not hard to please, hell I've waited nearly a year for this issue to be resolved with nothing being done about it. I just want to know if they ever plan to do anything about it. Quit making us wait around!

Good luck everyone! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
To be honest, I love this router. It's a solid piece of machinery. I've only ever had one problem with it. That would be the fact that the wireless downlink speed is capped at 5.5 mbps on the Xbox 360 Slim. That leaves slow download speeds for game updates. Streaming media is pretty much impossible to watch. While it's showing a connection at 5.5 mbps, It also remains sporatic.

I first reported my problem and had it confirmed by Asus themselves 7 months ago. I first posted the problem on here nearly 6 months ago. I've constantly given them the benefit of the doubt, I've stood up for them and suggested other people give them time to work out the issue.

After all this time, Jeremy the representative for asus has been kind enough to check into the issue twice on our behalf. But with no feedback what so ever from Asus other than they know there's a problem. I'm done with waiting. I believe everyone on here with our problem should make your voice heard.

If you would like to be heard and try and force a solution from Asus. I suggest everyone with our specific issue chip in and report the problem(again). Hopefully if enough of you visit http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx and spam them with the issue. Just maybe we'll get some kind of response out of these people.

I've already submitted my form and left links to this page, the post I made to Microsoft and every subsequent post I've ever made on the issue. I'm not hard to please, hell I've waited nearly a year for this issue to be resolved with nothing being done about it. I just want to know if they ever plan to do anything about it. Quit making us wait around!

Good luck everyone! :rolleyes:

I have reported the problem again as suggested. Here's what I've written:
Wireless downlink speed is capped at 5.5 mbps with the Xbox 360 Slim. That leaves slow download speeds for game updates. Streaming media is pretty much impossible to watch. While it's showing a connection at 5.5 mbps, It also remains sporatic.

This problem has been reported and been confirmed by Asus at least 7 months ago.
Since then there's been no feedback what so ever from Asus other than it's known that there's a problem.

You can see everything that your support has suggested has been tried. For further details please visit:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7774

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...)&id=20120330002451179&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/406901.aspx

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp...)&id=20120316144231048&page=2&SLanguage=en-us

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp...)&id=20121216081403086&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Do you ever plan to do anything about it?

Speed with my XBOX 360 Slim
With wired cable I get about 50mps up and 5.5mbps down.
With wireless connection I get about 4.5mbps up and 400kbps down.

If I could get 5.5mbps down with my RT-N66U with wireless I would be more than happy. Do you guys get that speed with wireless?

Speed with my computer
Wired cable 95mbps up and 95mbps down.
Wireless 95mbps up and 55mbps down.

Note: I have 100/100 fiber connection.

Last edited:
Speed with my XBOX 360 Slim
With wired cable I get about 50mps up and 5.5mbps down.
With wireless connection I get about 4.5mpbs up and 400kbps down.

If I could get 5.5mpbs down with my RT-N66U I would be more than happy. Do you guys get that speed with wireless?

Speed with my computer
Wired cable 95mbps up and 95mps down.
Wireless 95mbps up and 55mps down.

Note: I have 100/100 fiber connection.

The link shows 5.5 mbps but it actually only trasmits about half that for me. The max speed I've seen it get was around 500 or so KBps but mostly it jumps up and down and stays more in the range of 200 KBps. To be honest, gaming isn't an issue on it. You can reliably play any online game and talk over voice chat fine. You don't require much speed for that. But you can forget about streaming any kind of video and downloading anything is really slow.

The issue isn't really about being satisfied with what we're getting. There's an issue and it needs to be addressed. The Xbox and the router we paid oh so much money for is capable of much much more. I'm using my old router as a wireless network client for my xbox slim. I have the capabilities of watching HD video and downloading at my maximum allowed speeds. But I shouldn't have to have extra hardware to alleviate a problem Asus seems to be ignoring.

The link shows 5.5 mbps but it actually only trasmits about half that for me. The max speed I've seen it get was around 500 or so KBps but mostly it jumps up and down and stays more in the range of 200 KBps. To be honest, gaming isn't an issue on it. You can reliably play any online game and talk over voice chat fine. You don't require much speed for that. But you can forget about streaming any kind of video and downloading anything is really slow.

The issue isn't really about being satisfied with what we're getting. There's an issue and it needs to be addressed. The Xbox and the router we paid oh so much money for is capable of much much more. I'm using my old router as a wireless network client for my xbox slim. I have the capabilities of watching HD video and downloading at my maximum allowed speeds. But I shouldn't have to have extra hardware to alleviate a problem Asus seems to be ignoring.

I totally agree with you. Gaming works fine but like you guys I can't stream. It works but the quality is like shirt. Downloading demos,updates etc takes forever. Now I have to use wired cable all over my apartment when I want to stream something.

The thing I meant was that if I could get 5.5mbps down with wireless that would be enough for me.

It seems I've finally found the right thread for this issue. I'm seeing the exact same behavior but with my OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray player and its external Wifi adapter. I wonder if it uses the same chipset as the Xbox 360? I believe the OPPO adapter is an Atheros chip but I'm not certain, and definitely no idea on the specific model. I've tried all of the potential fixes discussed here as well as toggling all sorts of other options and seen no change in behavior. My previous Netgear WNR3500 router performed flawlessly in this regard.

Based on ASUS's recent firmware release schedule (approximately one per month) I was hoping to see a firmware update that cured this around mid-December, and here we are in mid-January and still nothing. :(

Last edited:
I wonder if it uses the same chipset as the Xbox 360?

That's a good question. When all this first started for me I actually thought the internal adapter on the slim was faulty. I started looking up replacement cards but never could figure out what brand they used.

Someone a little more adept in chip types would have to find out for us. I had considered at one point in replacing the internal adapter but decided against it since you can get an external adapter cheaper, which is also faster and is able to use the 5 ghz band.

Anyhoo. If you really think your problem fits our xbox slim description, by all means please submit a support ticket similar to ours. At this point, I'm about ready to start a "I want what I paid for cult"! :cool: hehe.

Is there any fw that will solve this problem? Like merlins fw or something?

I've tried the new beta fw, the newest fw and yesterday I tried 3.0.0.4.246. Exactly the same speed on all three.

Is there any fw that will solve this problem? Like merlins fw or something?

I've tried the new beta fw, the newest fw and yesterday I tried 3.0.0.4.246. Exactly the same speed on all three.

No, that's what this whole threads about. There is nothing available at this time and Asus has known about it for a very long while now.

It seems I've finally found the right thread for this issue. I'm seeing the exact same behavior but with my OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray player and its external Wifi adapter. I wonder if it uses the same chipset as the Xbox 360? I believe the OPPO adapter is an Atheros chip but I'm not certain, and definitely no idea on the specific model.

The 360 S uses the Marvell 88W8786U and the OPPO is apparently the Atheros AR9271.

Asus feedback upon receiving my problem report:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service
My name is Joe and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Thank you for contacting ASUS and providing your feedback. Your information has been documented and forwarded to the appropriate contacts for further review and improvement. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us at 812-282-2787 and we will be happy to help you.

Happy new year!

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best Regards
Joe